Carlton Course Des Primes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NorwichVelo

Carlton Course Des Primes

Post by NorwichVelo »

Hello does anybody have any info or pictures of Carlton's Course Des Primes? I'm hoping to restore a frame and forks set I've had for a while and nearly gave away. The frame is with Dave Marsh at the moment as he was interested in seeing it as he used to build these models. It's a violet and mauve colour combination.

But I'm interested in the spec and any info anyone may have please.

Regards
whoops

Re: Carlton Course Des Primes

Post by whoops »

Was it manufactured and sold a complete machine or was it a bespoke individual frame built to size with angles and brazed-on extras, and given a name as is still a common practice, to which you add specific accessories of your choice? Carlton wasn't always a mass producer, I'm sure!
Just a thought.
Last edited by whoops on 21 Dec 2014, 2:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NorwichVelo

Post by NorwichVelo »

Thanks gents. Speaking with Dave it was sold as a complete bike and was not 531.

Someone must have one out there or know the spec etc.
mapman

Post by mapman »

I wish I could help. My parents helped to buy me one these from a bike shop on the Tilehurst road in Reading. Must have been 1969/70 ish. I think the colour was as you describe and the only thing I remember we're the short shiny mudguards !!
I'd love to get hold of one all these years later
Good luck with it
Mike
pga

Post by pga »

The mention of Norwich Velo brings back memories of riding the BLRC road races the club promoted in the 1950's. Happy days indeed.
Andyrichards

Post by Andyrichards »

I’ve got one of these bikes. My dad bought it me from dugmore cycles in Wolverhampton. It was brand new. It had short alloy mudguards A Brooke’s leather racing seat. Simplex gears Seatpost and bars were polished aluminium brakes were weinmann centrepill. Levers were red dot with white hoods I’m after some original gear levers and derailleur set the simplex rear derailleur had a red metallic simplex sticker on it.
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

Veteran-Cycle Club Library has a number of Carlton catalogues. Just google VCC library, open access for 90% of the content of the library. An essential resource for any body interested in older bicycles