FH body swap

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
student

FH body swap

Post by student »

I'd like to inquire about something, any assistance would be kindly appreciated. Please, if there's anyone, who would probably be able to provide insight, I'd be obliged to hear it..

:oops:
I've been offered a set of Veloce hubs, like these:

I have a wheelset built up with 8speed athena hubs, dating from 1996. I'd like to use this set of veloce hubs as a freehub body donor, and also, later as a backup (the hubset, new, costs less than a freehub body.. so it's economical for me)

would the FH body from this rear veloce swap with old 8spd hubs? kind regards..
I'm located outside the UK. Never been there, not even considering getting a work there once I have my degree. :)
Keezx

Re: FH body swap

Post by Keezx »

No, that body will not fit straight.
The hubset in the picture uses an oversized axle with industrial bearings.(Veloce)
There is a small chance it will fit if you swap the bearings in the freehub, but don't count on it.
I would swap the complete rear hub.
You still can use it as 8 speed with 9 speed cogs and 8 speed spacers.
Can you buy them cheap, buy them. Very solid fit & forget parts (specially the rear hub)
Bike snobs don't use them , but I had these hubs for 15 years and had only once to change 2 bearings rear.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Different FW bodies.
They don't fit.

Swap out the complete hub instead.
Mick F. Cornwall
student

Post by student »

Thanks for the help, I won't buy those then. They cost too much, 40 euros, and re-lacing the wheels is expensive (around 15 euros for both wheels)

Instead I'd probably buy a complete wheelset around 50-60 Euros.

I've been offered with this one:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

9-10-11 speed veloce hubs, but it was with a 8spd cassette (not re-spaced 9 speed, but real 8speed with shallow grooves..)

the wheels would come with lockring. Is it a good offer? I don't know whether those rims are worn at their brake surfaces or not..
I'm located outside the UK. Never been there, not even considering getting a work there once I have my degree. :)
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

These 9 speed Veloce cup+conehubs are not very good and spare parts are rare , so I would not buy those unseen.
You might end with 2 worn out rear hubs after spending 60€....
Best option is buying the (apparently new) Veloces and rebuild the rear wheel.
About 8 speed cassettes on 9 speed rear hubs: Cannot recommend that because although the cassettes fit but they will destroy the freehub.
You can clearly observe this in picture 1487......

BTW where is that offer of the Veloce hubs?
Might buy them myself.....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Those Veloce hubs photographed are finished nicely and look beautiful, but the hub internals are cheap and nasty.
The freewheel body pawls are individually fitted with small spiral springs and an absolute devil to fit if you take the body off, and you're likely to find they go PING! and lose the bits. :oops:

The bearings are badly sealed and are just are common or garden cartridge bearings. Weather and muck get in, and they rumble for the rest of their lives. The only good thing, is that they are cheap to replace.

Far better to get cup and cone Campag hubs. Easy to strip and rebuild, the pawls are held in by a full circle spring, they are fairly well sealed, and they are easy to adjust even with the QR done up tight.
Mick F. Cornwall
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

Well, cup & cone worn out is EOL.
So I don't agree..;..
8 Years ago I put new SKF bearings in mine (2RS) and did not have to touch it ever since.
The construction is basycally the same as Miche Primato's which served me years perfectly.
student

Post by student »

my problem is that even though my 8spd hubs are perfect, they only accept 8spd cassettes.

with these wheels I'd later be able to upgrade to 10 speed, and the wheels are actually around the same price as a rear hub and re-lacing the wheels I currently use.

I trust the seller, because he's a friend of mine and I've made several purchases from him in the last few years, so, we have quite a good relation.

As for the hubset for 40 euros (12.000 HUF). In a hungarian cycle "shop", called maxi-bike. Campy low-endish stuff (below athena) is so [rude word removed] cheap in hungary, that it's incredible. Record stuff is vastly overpriced, though.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

student wrote:my problem is that even though my 8spd hubs are perfect, they only accept 8spd cassettes....

I you take an all-steel 10s cassette, and use a die-grinder to shorten/modify the splines on each cog, you can can fit a set of 10s cogs onto an 8s freewheel body. You will need to use the 8s lockring.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Keezx wrote:Well, cup & cone worn out is EOL.
EOL is end of life?
Not with Campag cup and cone. Simple and easy. Simple and easy to keep them clean and greased too. Ten minute job.

My Mirage cartridge bearings went rumbly and rough in about six weeks from new. Truth be told they were probably not that good to start with. I've taken them out, pulled the seals and cleaned them ...... even in a sonic bath! ...... and they are rough still. The hubs are on my spare wheels now and get used once in a blue moon.
Mick F. Cornwall
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Crikey I think I'll stick to Shimano :roll:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mick F wrote:
EOL is end of life?
Not with Campag cup and cone. Simple and easy....

er, no. The RH 'cone' in the cheaper 8s campag cassette hubs is (I think) an NLA spare part that wears out quite easily. It is also pressed onto the axle, so when it gets knackered it isn't that easy to do much about it anyway.

By contrast new cartridge bearings cost pennies these days, and in point of fact if you are going to have the RH hub bearing in the middle of the hub like that, you are probably better off with a deep groove cartridge bearing than with a traditional cup and cone bearing there; Mr Campag didn't do his sums correctly when he designed that one and (IMHO) the contact angles of the cup and cone bearings are all wrong, bearing in mind the service loadings on these parts.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

Mick F wrote:
EOL is end of life?
Not with Campag cup and cone. Simple and easy. Simple and easy to keep them clean and greased too. Ten minute job.

My Mirage cartridge bearings went rumbly and rough in about six weeks from new. Truth be told they were probably not that good to start with. I've taken them out, pulled the seals and cleaned them ...... even in a sonic bath! ...... and they are rough still. The hubs are on my spare wheels now and get used once in a blue moon.

Worn out=worn out unfortunately.and I prefer no maintenance over little maintenance....
The original bearings are not refined (probably Chinese 99 cent pieces) but lasted 7 years with me....
Nothing wrong with these hubs after changing the bearings for good ones (still cheap...)
Parts for the cup&cone hubs are untraceble (apart from cones), and rebuilding a >1999 Chorus or Record hub sets you back 60€.
Allready had to throw away a 1998 Chorus rear hub , badly worn out and no parts available.
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

Brucey wrote:
student wrote:my problem is that even though my 8spd hubs are perfect, they only accept 8spd cassettes....

I you take an all-steel 10s cassette, and use a die-grinder to shorten/modify the splines on each cog, you can can fit a set of 10s cogs onto an 8s freewheel body. You will need to use the 8s lockring.

cheers

The 8 speed freehub body is too narrow for 10 speed .....
student

Post by student »

Brucey: I don't think that's a good idea. :) Just think about it: the FH body is shorter, and buying a new set of 10speed wheels can be as cheap as 50 euros, esp. if you manage to source a rear one.

So, Cheaper to sell and replace.

As Mentioned, my current wheels are in pretty top condition, but I have to keep in mind the future upgrades, so, might as well buy the wheels if they are a good offer.