Lowering gears on a Boardman Hydrid Team 2014

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ferdinand

Lowering gears on a Boardman Hydrid Team 2014

Post by ferdinand »

I'm thinking aloud, and as a newby-ish I'd welcome any thoughts.

I love the bike to bits, and have done about 1000 miles since the late summer on roads and trails, including a measure of touring. The only thing that I would like to change is the gearing, where I find that I am hardly using the top couple of gears and sometimes struggle on certain hills. Currently I have a normal 50-34T compact chainset on the front and 11-32T PG1030 10-speed on the back, both SRAM Apex which I understand are decent mid-range components.

Next year I expect to do more touring-with-hills and 10-20kg loads, and riding around the Peak District close to where I live. With more hills and heavier loads I am wondering about increasing my gear range and lowering it slightly, now or at the end of the winter. Further increased fitness will help, but I still think I need the different gearing.

First question: what is the way to do this? Am I better going for a 12-36 MTB type cassette, which I am told will need a new derailleur, or simply a lower gearing at the front (42-28 or even a triple)? I'm quite happy to budget around £100 to get it right, as it is a £750 bike which is still nearly new.

Second question: is this a do-it-myself job, or one for the LBS? I'm willing to learn and spend the time. I'm quite happily swapping tyres and other routine tasks.

Thanks

Ferdinand
ferdinand

Re: Lowering gears on a Boardman Hydrid Team 2014

Post by ferdinand »

>andrewjoseph
>I've got apex on my bike, it will take a 36 t cassette with b screw tweaking. Yours may do the same but depends on mech-hanger.
>I can't remember if an mtb rear mech is compatible.
>I'd suggest editing the topic title too ;-)

>One thing I don't understand, I thought APEX was drop bar specific, hybrids are usually flat bar with mtb style trigger shifters.
>My APEX rear mech is similar size to long cage mtb mechs. What mech have you got?

I'm not sure exactly the information you are asking for there, but the full bike spec is here:
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... -2014#tab2

There is a large pic of the derailleur mech.

"Rear Mech" is described as Rear Mech: SRAM Apex - 10 Speed.
The shifters are: Gear Shifters: SRAM S700 - 2x10 Triggers.

Ferdinand
hamster

Post by hamster »

Probably the fastest fix is to fit an MTB 2x10 double front chainset - something like a 27/44 or 29/44. As SRAM make such things you should be able to save your BB. The front mech will need to be lowered a little on the seat tube. With a 1:1 gear ratio you can just about climb trees.

In an ideal world then swapping to a triple is probably a better solution, but would require new chainset, front mech and shifters.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

I've put more comments on the original post.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Spoke to LBS today.

It looks like the hamsterplan may be the easy one, costing perhaps £50-60 fitted to switch to a 44/29 chain set, though I would like something a little closer if possible - such as a 42/29 or 40/28:- to take the edge off the chasm between the two.

May do it with a service at the end if the winter!.

Ferdinand
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Running the numbers, Mr Sheldon Brown says that my current setup with 700c wheels and 37mm tyres has a gear range of 124" to 29", which is indeed a little too high, on the existing 50-34T crankset.

Practically, I rarely use the top 2 gears, and spend a lot of time on the smaller crank, so i can take a fairly major change.

So I think I favour an switch to a 42/27T or 39/26T crankset, which will give me a gear range of 104"-23" or 95"-22" as best for what looks like being my mix of fitness, recreational, days out, medium weight short tours and hopefully a sportive or two.. I'd like a 42-24, but that won't happen.

Ferdinand
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

The quote from lb's include possible new front mech? The one you have may not fit new crankset/ Chainrings/may foul on Chainstay.
--
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

andrewjoseph wrote:The quote from lb's include possible new front mech? The one you have may not fit new crankset/ Chainrings/may foul on Chainstay.

The front mech is the deralleur, I'm thinking?

We haven't discussed that yet. LBC is having a look to see what is available from the same manufacturer and easy to slot in, at which point I'll get some more exact prices and ask some tedious questions ("can I have a 44/24 made up?" What will it cost?), but the work won't happen until New Year at least as I'm off on a holiday in Somerset.

I'm more interested in getting what I need rather than the absolute price, and I'm happy to support the LBS on this one

Anyway,Halfords have started charging me for fitting things since they noticed I don't actually have a Bike Care package. I thought free fitting was part of the usual practice, but apparently not.

Ferdinand
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Short chat with LBC (Local Bike Chap) this morning, looking at chainsets.

One suggestion is to use a MTB chain set but sell the middle ring on to a fixie, which raises the possibility of a 42-24 or 44-22 pair.

I like the sound of that as it will give me for the 42-24 gear ranges of 35"-105" and 20"-60" which looks OK for everything I do locally or unloaded on tour, or hills and loaded on holiday.

At home we are somewhat hilly but not very, but much better than flat places like Norfolk or Nottingham. I can find a local 15 mile circuit from home with 1500ft of climb if I am feeling fit.

Still need to think for a few weeks though. I do enjoy faffing.

Ferdinand
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

If you have to get an mtb front mech/derailler to suit the smaller Chainrings, it may not work with your shifters, so you may need new shifters too.

If you are going that far it may be an option to get a triple Chainset. Possibly cheaper too.
--
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Decision made.

I'm going for a 42-28 crankset, which should just drop in with adjustments to front derailleur etc., as that seems the best cost/capability compromise for now for me.

That will give me a gear range of 23.9-69" and 35.9-104.3" which will cover me for everything I can see in the next year or two, I can see a need to revisit it at the lower end should I go heavy touring for long distances.

Cost will be just on £100.

Ferdinand
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

ferdinand wrote:
Next year I expect to do more touring-with-hills and 10-20kg loads, and riding around the Peak District close to where I live. With more hills and heavier loads I am wondering about increasing my gear range and lowering it slightly, now or at the end of the winter. Further increased fitness will help, but I still think I need the different gearing....

it sounds like you are en route to addressing the gearing but if you are going to carry 10-20kg loads this will ask new questions of the bike, in particular the wheelset. A lightweight single-eyelet 32h rim would not be my first choice for a wheelset that is to carry this kind of load reliably. If it is mostly weight on the rear wheel then I'd expect trouble to be quite likely after you have done a fair mileage.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Brucey

Thanks for that.

My wheels are Mavic XM319s, which seem to be a well regarded mid range MTB type wheel - not that I get the technicalities - so that should be OK short of anything extreme.

By then I hope that the 10kg extra on the luggage will be equalled by the 10kg extra off yours truly.

Concern about the wheels on the Boardman Hybrid Comp was one reason why I jumped to the Hybrid Team, where they became a branded part.

My intention is to do some type of short tour most months this year, so time will tell.

Ferdinand
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

It's back with 42-28 gears.

A short 6 miler yesterday suggests that the setup is much better. Out for a 30 miler with hills today for a better workout.

Cost £100 exactly, for a new crankset and front mech, and quite a lot of time by Nix Cycles, who held the original quote despite a need to order more than one set. They now have more stock than before :-).

Ferdinand