Winter Brake Blocks

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JamesE

Re: Winter Brake Blocks

Post by JamesE »

The fat commuter wrote:I can see me also having to go on a wheel building course so that I can put new rims on when these ones wear out

I replaced a worn rim on my front wheel this year and you really don't need a wheelbuilding course for this, just a spoke key, truing stand and dishing stick. If you can get a new rim of the same make as the old one, that takes away the hard work of calculating spoke lengths, cross patterns and whatnot. Just put the new rim next to the old one and work around the rim, transferring the spokes across one at a time. Not a lot to it if you're methodical.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Thanks for all the replies. Will look at wiping down the rims more often - probably do them every night so that they're clean for my descent into work the following morning. Just used some kitchen cleaning wipes as a quick 'fix' and will do a thorough scrub when I have time over the weekends.

Have changed the pads to some new ones - unfortunately the same Clarkes triple compound ones but I've ordered some of the ones recommended by Vantage as a test.
Vantage wrote:The current pads have been on since May this year and are about half worn. They're quieter and stop faster imo, but they don't bite immediately in wet conditions. At £2-3 a pair, these are cheaper to replace than a new rim.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... detailpage

Reading the reviews it would appear that they may be a softer compound. I don't mind if I have to replace every two weeks rather than every month - if it gives me a smoother and less wear on the rim then I'm happy.

I'll let you know how I get on. Not at work next week so won't be doing my usual commute but will hopefully get out and about.

Thanks all
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

s1965c wrote:
I've been getting good mileage out of Discobrakes OBE pads. They cost next to nothing (£8 for four pairs delivered) and last better / are kinder to rims / stop better than anything else I've tried. I'm getting three times the life of the original Shimano pads and no longer have to endure the grinding noises whenever I use the brakes in the wet.

Apologies for my ignorance but what is OBE?

I use discobrakes cantilever pads on Rigida Sputnik rims and find them fine. I regularly clean rims and pads.

Certainly great value.
Sweep
s1965c

Post by s1965c »

OBE = Original brake Equipment. It's just another name you occasionally find them advertised as.

And, agreed - good pads.
_________
LEJoG slug
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Out of interest 1965, which are the pads you are using?

Canti/V. Etc etc?

I would encourage everyone to check out discobrakes.

Google and if you find a page that looks like a homage to saturday night fever from the dawn of the internet you will have the right page.
Sweep
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Back in the 'eighties found Aztec to be good so now my old bikes now run Aztec v-brake blocks and the same brand of rotors cannot fault them. Also the bikes fitted with the £2 brake blocks also v, have had no complaints from the ones from sjscycles.co.uk as used and fitted by myself for local people who want cheap blocks. Try Brasso wadding aka Duraglit on your rims as this takes away the gunge plus still like to bike through wet sand as this cleans the blocks and so far after two decades of doing this have never had rim damage.