Trailer tyres for offroad

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JosephCallard

Trailer tyres for offroad

Post by JosephCallard »

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice for trailer tyres, I have a carry freedom Y-frame and carry a kayak on it, I hope to be able to pull it off-road (muddy tracks and gravel roads probably the extent).

What tyres will give me the best performance? I want ones that won't be draggy in mud and wont slide sideways on loose gravel.

The load is probably going to be around 40kg.
Thanks for any help!

Joe
Tigerbiten

Re: Trailer tyres for offroad

Post by Tigerbiten »

I'd go with the widest tyre you can get so they don't sink to far in soft ground.
Wired Big Apples (55-406) are reasonably cheap, roll well and tend not to puncture.
After that I look at one of the MTB/BMX type tyres if you want small knobbles outside a smooth running strip.

I use Marathon Supremes (42-406) on my Y-frame but I'm 99.9% on tarmac.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

On my Bob Yak trailer which I have used off road it has a "low tread" chevron pattern works OK for me, but I would not go for a MTB tyre as it will not be needed.
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Why not replace it with a solid foam tyre spoked plastic front wheel from a scrap child's bike as it will be hard to destroy and keep the air tyre for the road??? Not too heavy to carry as it be held on the trailer as a car trailers do so simply swap.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Bikefayre wrote:Why not replace it with a solid foam tyre spoked plastic front wheel from a scrap child's bike as it will be hard to destroy and keep the air tyre for the road??? Not too heavy to carry as it be held on the trailer as a car trailers do so simply swap.

The Carry Freedom trailer uses wheelchair hubs.
So if the distance between the bearings is not correct, when you push the axle through them and into the trailer frame, the axles won't lock in the correct position.