Road bike that can take 25mm tyres & mudguards

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Ben_

Re: Road bike that can take 25mm tyres & mudguards

Post by Ben_ »

iandriver wrote:+1 for a CX bike. The flexibility of them is fantastic. In the winter slop, you may well want to go above 25mm. You've got pretty much road bike performance with none of the limitation hangups.

Thanks.

Two bikes I'm particularly looking at are the the Ribble Winter Trainer (with mudguards and 10 speed Tiagra is available for £620) and that gets decent reviews. Also from ribble is their Cyclocross bike ( with mudguards and 10 speed Tiagra is available for £640) Ribble's CX appears to be relatively new as I can't find many/any reviews.

The Ribble Winter trainer can apparently only fit 23mm tyres with mudguards, where as the CX bike can fit much wider tyres.
The CX bikes comes with Cantis as opposed to Dual Pivot and I'd go for a 50/34 Compact on the CX bike (as I've got a CX bike for racing that's 46/36, so I wouldn't be usign the CX bike for CX).
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Look at the Whyte range as it has a road bike fitted with mudguards as standard and is in the current Cycle magazine in black. The Suffolk.
Last edited by Bikefayre on 22 Dec 2014, 4:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Ben_ wrote:
iandriver wrote:+1 for a CX bike. The flexibility of them is fantastic. In the winter slop, you may well want to go above 25mm. You've got pretty much road bike performance with none of the limitation hangups.

Thanks.

Two bikes I'm particularly looking at are the the Ribble Winter Trainer (with mudguards and 10 speed Tiagra is available for £620) and that gets decent reviews. Also from ribble is their Cyclocross bike ( with mudguards and 10 speed Tiagra is available for £640) Ribble's CX appears to be relatively new as I can't find many/any reviews.

The Ribble Winter trainer can apparently only fit 23mm tyres with mudguards, where as the CX bike can fit much wider tyres.
The CX bikes comes with Cantis as opposed to Dual Pivot and I'd go for a 50/34 Compact on the CX bike (as I've got a CX bike for racing that's 46/36, so I wouldn't be usign the CX bike for CX).

My old Ribble winter bike was a squeeze with 25mm and guards. It's OK, but a one trick pony really, a road bike and nothing else. It's not a patch on my Kinesis 4s or my CX bike which are just as quick but can do so much more in addition. I think the Ribble CX is new this year. Looks exceptional value, though I haven't looked at their wheel options in detail.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
tzunoi

Post by tzunoi »

If you think going on cx and are ok to buy without trying you may go on canyon. They have very good prices. Or you can try poison-bike.de. They have one steel cx that is nice