A new glare-free headlamp for road riding

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
chrispsych

Re: A new glare-free headlamp for road riding

Post by chrispsych »

Mbps
Fxxx
chrispsych

Post by chrispsych »

Oops sorry. I had put my phone back in my pocket and had not switched it off. Please ignore above.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Annirak wrote:Honestly, the more back and forth there is about this, the more I think that a battery light is the way to go.

I recognise that it takes more management, but once we start talking about having a hybrid and a road/CX bike and the quality of the lights involved, the battery light, which can be easily moved from bike to bike, starts to seem awfully attractive.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the suggestion of the dynamo lights. If I were planning to ride only a single bike after dark, that would be a really excellent option. However, since I'm planning to do significant riding with a hybrid and later switch to a road bike or CX bike (only relevant because of wheel incompatibility), I think that battery is the way to go for me.

At some later time, I may look at dynamos again, but for the next 2-9 months, a battery light is what makes sense to me.

A sane decision is one taken after appropriate thought - this counts ;)

But also puts you outside of my experience ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Annirak wrote:It certainly would be interesting riding a hybrid with a road front!

I have a hybrid with 35mm tyres right now. I'm looking at getting either a CX bike with 28mm tyres or a road bike with 25mm or 23mm tyres. I don't think that there would be good compatibility between 35mm tyres and 25mm tyres...

I'd suggest that unless you are actually racing, a bike that takes 28s and mudguards would be a sensible choice. A 28 front tyre isn't a disastrous match for a 35mm rear either, so a 700C wheel with a 28mm tyre could fit two different bikes, no worries.

BTW I think it is worth mentioning that I don't like riding anything much smaller than 28mm at night, because there is a little bit too much chance of going down a pothole that you would see and avoid easily in daylight.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WOOLIFERKINS

Post by WOOLIFERKINS »

PH wrote:The only others I know of (Apart from other B&M models) with a cut off beam are the Phillips Saferide and the Supernova Airstream. I think the one you're looking at is pretty much spot on, it's what I'd choose if I didn't use a dynamo.

Any bicycle light that confirms to the current German lighting regs will have the flat cut off on top of the beam. Also the Lux reading will have been measured at a point on the road 10m from the light source.
Neil
honesty

Post by honesty »

I bought these wheels from Rosebikes http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/atb-wheel-set-28700c-mavic-a-719--shimano-deore-xt-dh-t780-xt-780/aid:640733 when I went to a dynamo setup for my tourer/commuter. Really happy with them and a silly price as well.