Shwalbe Lugano tyres?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Dave W

Shwalbe Lugano tyres?

Post by Dave W »

My new bike came with them 700x25. I've only done about 100 miles on them. They felt different to my usual Gatorskins so I thought I'd look them up on the internet. Turns out they are extremely cheap - some dreadful reviews and one or two good ones.

Anyone use them on here? What do you think of them?
Brucey

Re: Shwalbe Lugano tyres?

Post by Brucey »

they are pretty basic tyres. I would not expect miracles from them, especially in the wet, and especially if the tread is coloured rather than black.

Check out these reviews;

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/tires-clincher/schwalbe/lugano/prd_411360_2489crx.aspx

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I've used them for commuting in all weathers - seemed to work okay but Gators they aren't!

For training/commuting they are a great budget tyre.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Not a lot. I tried them last Summer but they cut up too quickly for my liking. If you want cheap tyres then Vittoria Rubinos are a better bet, IF you want qulaity and Swalbe then you pay about the same as gatorskins in the guise of the Durano's
NUKe

Post by Dave W »

Yes, those are the reviews I saw. Can't expect miracles at that price I suppose. They felt a bit twitchy to me but then I wasn't on my normal bike. Can't decide whether to run them 'till destruction or change. I hate roadside repairs this time of year.
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Personally think they are perfect for a tyre and tube deal off Amazon. If you cannot afford fancy tyres for your road bike [ideal if you are unemployed] you get the instant look for about £25 for two tyres and tubes. Have used the very similar yet even worse Schwalbe HS180 which never punctured during two years of use and used them off-road. Would recommend the much better Schwalbe Durano Plus with the wire bead as these did not puncture once on a LEJOG ride given to a doctor doing a sponsored ride. Plan to fit these to two of my bikes. The Lugano are directional so be careful. Have just fitted a set to an old mans bike and loves how his stupidly large hybrid freewheels on the flat!!! Plus likes the blue stripe as he's a Rangers supporter!!!
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Put some new Gatorskins on today just in case. Might go back to the Schwalbes in the summer but doubt it. Nothing worse than fixing a flat in midwinter.

Just like to add, the Gatorskins were folders and dead easy to put on my rims (no levers required).
sreten

Post by sreten »

Hi.

IMO most reviews are unfair, nearly all new bikes, with riders
more used to better tyres. Cheaper bikes come with much
worse tyres. The Luganos are a nice budget tyre.

No new bike generally comes with premium tyres.

That they come with lots of decent bikes implies
they are one of the best budget tyres available.

rgds, sreten.
JCroxton

Post by JCroxton »

Schwalbe Ultremo ZX's are a better option in my opinion, I bought some Luganos last year when money was tight, but upgraded as soon as I could as I too felt very twitchy on them. You can get some pretty good deals online nowadays.

http://road.cc/content/news/137314-cybe ... ls-roundup

There's a deal at the bottom of that page for some - that's where I got mine.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I appreciate this topic is a bit long in the tooth now, but thought I would add my thoughts on these tyres.
I have given one of my bikes to my younger son. The tyres needed replacing so thought I would give these a try as they are indeed cheap, and the bike won’t be used that often.
As he is not what you would call an experienced rider I thought I would try them out first for him. I live on a hill, and at the bottom there is a sweeping left turn with an even steeper decent to traffic lights. The road was not wet, but slightly damp, and as I braked to go into the bend the back wheel skidded, something I can’t remember happening before on any of my other tyres. It scared me enough to get off and return home, he possibly would have fallen off.
I won’t say these tyres are rubbish, and they may well be perfectly ok in the dry, but they won’t be used again by me or him. Guess I will be googling cheap Conti’s some time later today.
Beauty will save the world.
mig

Post by mig »

i'd say most tyres may skid around a bit when new. especially in the wet. it's the release compound on the surface rather than the tyre itself. this stuff makes the boards of a dry velodrome seem treacherous - so much so that a good few laps on the cote d'azur is recommended at the national cycling centre before pedalling in anger.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

mig wrote:i'd say most tyres may skid around a bit when new. especially in the wet.

Fair enough mig, I won't consign them to the scrap heap just jet then, and will wait for a dry day to wear them in a bit
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

If you are wanting decent wet budget tyres try the Bronx 38c tyres with the cats claw/talon pattern from woollyhatshop.com. Have found the 40C size to be actually a 30C and fits my road bike frame so the 38C will be closer to a 28. Have had these tyres destruction tested by a cyclist who is forever crashing yet with these tyres on he never did. These are known in the tyre trade as rain tyres so make sure the tread points in the same direction as travel, the Schwalbes are also directional so maybe if the tread is fitted backwards the tyre will slip.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Thanks Bikefayre, but they will be too big for my bike, I can just about get away with the 23’s that are on there now, and I’m pretty sure 25’s would rub. I have some Panaracer Pesala tyres I will probably fit, as really I am not confident with the Schwalbe’s, and I will be waiting for them to twitch whenever I or my son ride on them, and that’s not a lot of fun is it.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

In retrospect, I’m not sure I gave these tyres a fair test.
The stated pressures are 85-130psi; I inflated them to my usual 100f, 110r.
Has anyone experimented with lower pressures, if so were they less twitchy?