Avid BB7

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ian peacock

Avid BB7

Post by ian peacock »

Here's a bit of a puzzler: 2 years ago I fitted BB7's to my winter bike; dead easy to fit and adjust and no problems since. So good in fact that my mate, Sam, asked me to fit some to his new bike. The problem is that after a few miles of riding, the pads on the front caliper gradually tighten themselves against the disc and lock it solid. This is a bit disconcerting for the poor chap, especially if it happens when he is hurtling downhill. Backing off the outer adjuster just one click returns the pads to normal, but then the problem occurs again after a few miles.
I can find no obvious cause; Any suggestions? Has anyone else encountered the same?
Mr_average

Re: Avid BB7

Post by Mr_average »

Not experienced this, but to help in isolating the problem: when the pads have locked on, is the arm on the calliper in the released position? How about the cable, is it slack? This should assist in isolating the problem to the calliper arm movement, the brake lever/cabling or the calliper 'piston'.
jb

Post by jb »

I seem to remember that inside the lever of the brake arm there is an anti -turn washer that can easily be mis-assembled. This might be the possible cause.
Cheers
J Bro
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the service manual is here;

https://www.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/service_manual_bb7__bb5.pdf

stupid question; you don't have MTN calipers paired with road brake levers, or something daft like that?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~