Dawes Vogue restoration

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jrclimber

Dawes Vogue restoration

Post by jrclimber »

I bought this bike 5 years ago after my brother persuaded me to enter the Etape Caledonia after a 30 year absence from road riding. It has been ridden on several sportives, the Way of the Roses, a week tour of the Lot and 2 week tours of Corsica and Spain. Although I now have 2 other road bikes I have become attached to it and wish to restore it including respray. I have tried but failed to find the history of this model. Searching the net and this forum give only brief references to ladies' bikes with this model name. Back Dawes catalogues that I can find online from 80s and 90s don't mention it. I'd be interested in any information forum members may have.

The only changes I have made so far are changing the bars (original too narrow) and replacing the Weinmann brakes and levers. It has a 3x6 setup with Sachs Rival derailleurs and downtube shifters (rear indexed).

Pictures here [https://www.flickr.com/photos/16293691@N05/sets/72157649474393755]

Would like to keep the Sachs derailleurs as shifting fine but would prefer to replace rear hub when rebuild wheels. Will I be able to get a 36h rear hub that will take a 6sp freewheel? An initial trawl has only turned up a 32h one from Spa.
gaz

Re: Dawes Vogue restoration

Post by gaz »

Assuming the Sachs (Sachs-Huret?) Rival rear mech is original I'd suggest 1988/9. However I don't recall the model and can't track down any on-line catalogues to confirm.

IIRC Weinmann brakes have date codes. A clear picture of the Reynolds sticker may also help the dating by those in the know.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
horizon

Post by horizon »

It appears in the 1991 catalogue in a fetching grey with white handlebar tape. It's for "weekend cycling" rather than "heavy-duty touring" so I trust you use it in the spirit of its intended use. :wink:

It was new in 1991 and doesn't appear in 1993 so at a guess yours is the 1992 model in the new colour for that year.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
jrclimber

Post by jrclimber »

horizon wrote:It appears in the 1991 catalogue in a fetching grey with white handlebar tape. It's for "weekend cycling" rather than "heavy-duty touring" so I trust you use it in the spirit of its intended use. :wink:

It was new in 1991 and doesn't appear in 1993 so at a guess yours is the 1992 model in the new colour for that year.

Many thanks. As neither gaz or I could find online catalogues I guess you are lucky enough to original printed copies?

I have used it for "credit card touring" which I suppose is somewhere between weekend cycling and heavy duty touring :)

With help of Dave at Spa cycles have found a Zenith hub that will nicely do the job on new rear wheel with 6sp freewheel.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

I have a 1992 catallogue and spec. sheet. It's there in what I'd call pinky-red but Dawes call plum metallic.

Reynolds 500 cr-mo frame tubes and hi-tensile fork.
Sachs Classic hubs
Alesa 317 polished rims
Rustless spokes
Vredestein Tyres
Sachs classic 21 speed, Aris down tube levers
Sachs Aris freewheel 13-30
Sachs 48/38/28 chainset
Sedisport chain
Alloy pedals cr-mo axle
Weinmann 721 sidepull brakes
etc etc.

RRP £299.95 (Sterling was £239.95, My Horizon was £399.95, Galaxy was £499.95)

What do you want?
Scan of picture?
Scan of spec sheet?

Anyone know what max resolution is when posting JPEGs on here?
horizon

Post by horizon »

NetworkMan wrote:I have a 1992 catallogue and spec. sheet. It's there in what I'd call pinky-red but Dawes call plum metallic.

What do you want?
Scan of picture?
Scan of spec sheet?

PDF scan of whole brochure of course! :D :D You can then send it by email or open a Dropbox folder or some other means. Or send it to Dawes and ask then to add it to their archive folder (they do have one but the brochures are fairly recent.)
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
jrclimber

Post by jrclimber »

Thanks networkman. I'd love a scan of the picture and spec though if you were able to pdf the whole brochure I'd read it avidly!
Was it available in any other colours? Frame needs a respray and I'd consider an original colour other than the pink.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Enclosed a picture of the Vogue and the spec sheet for touring bikes. Sheet 2 fits on the RHS of sheet 1 with some overlap.
It's not easy to scan the whole touring and tandem brochure; it's a huge sheet folded up and each time it's refolded for scan it gets a little more damaged.
I'm working on it.
The bikes in the pictures are probably prototypes. When my Horizon appeared after ordering it there were some variations.
You can click on the JPGs for a larger view and then download them.

By the way. If you read the serial number on the underside of the bottom bracket shell you'll probably find it starts off 93... conforming that it is indeed a 1993 model.

Brochure picture
Brochure picture

Spec sheet 2
Spec sheet 2

Spec sheet 1
Spec sheet 1
jrclimber

Post by jrclimber »

Many thanks networkman. Great to have the history.
SilverBadge

Post by SilverBadge »

jrclimber wrote: Will I be able to get a 36h rear hub that will take a 6sp freewheel? An initial trawl has only turned up a 32h one from Spa.
Any rear hub for screw-on freewheels can take a narrower freewheel and smaller OLN distance by removing spacers and cutting a bit off the axle, surely? Quite a few contenders on ebay and elsewhere.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Interesting. The spec. sheet and brochure blurb says 3 x 7 speed not 6 speed and the rear derallieur looks different. I wonder if the prototype was different or perhaps something got changed on this particular bike at some time? Certainly my Horizon came with only one set of bottle bosses and no pump peg whereas the illustration shows two sets and a pump peg. Spec sheet is correct though.