Ultegra 6800 & Xt/XTR or SRAM 11 speed road shifters & X9

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
si f

Ultegra 6800 & Xt/XTR or SRAM 11 speed road shifters & X9

Post by si f »

Dear collective

It seems from reading around that:

- Ultegra 6700 10sp shifters are compatible with XT/XTR 9 speed shifters
- SRAM 10 speed shifters are compatible with SRAM mtb RDs e.g. X9

Any ideas if:
- 11sp Ultegra 6800 shifters are compatible with any variety of XT/XTR
- SRAM 11sp Rival 22/Force 22 shifters are compatible with any SRAM mtb derailleurs? (I guess it' only mega pricey XX1...)

I am trying to run a 50-34t with a 11-36 rear cassette.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but couldn;t find the thread if its out there...

Cheers

Si
Brucey

Re: Ultegra 6800 & Xt/XTR or SRAM 11 speed road shifters & X

Post by Brucey »

si f wrote:Dear collective

It seems from reading around that:

- Ultegra 6700 10sp shifters are compatible with XT/XTR 9 speed shifters
not quite; 10s road shifters will work with 9s MTB rear mechs on a 10s system and MTB 9s shifters will work with a road 10s rear mech on a 9s system. Front mechs and shifters don't play well between MTB and Road.

- SRAM 10 speed shifters are compatible with SRAM mtb RDs e.g. X9
yes, I think they all use the same pull ratio.

Any ideas if:
- 11sp Ultegra 6800 shifters are compatible with any variety of XT/XTR
- SRAM 11sp Rival 22/Force 22 shifters are compatible with any SRAM mtb derailleurs? (I guess it' only mega pricey XX1...)

shimano 11s road stuff is all different pull ratio to any previous road rear mechs. It is unknown if any of it works with dyna-sys 10s MTB stuff, which is also different to any previous MTB stuff.

Re the SRAM 11s stuff; I'd suggest asking SRAM about that.

BTW you say you want to run an 11-36T cassette but you don't say if it is a 9, 10, or 11s cassette.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
recordacefromnew

Post by recordacefromnew »

si f wrote:- Ultegra 6700 10sp shifters are compatible with XT/XTR 9 speed shifters

If you meant 6700 shifter with XT/XTR 9 speed rear mech - then yes, but as Brucey said above road front and mtb front cable pull are different.

si f wrote:- 11sp Ultegra 6800 shifters are compatible with any variety of XT/XTR

Nope:
http://www.cxmagazine.com/shimano-xtr-m9000-11-speed-road-compatible-questions where 6800 is incompatible with Shimano 11 speed mtb rear.
http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/is-11spd-shimano-road-and-mtb-kit-compatible where 6800 is incompatible with Dynasys rear.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/07/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-faq-1011-speed-compatibility_337803 where 6800 is incompatible with 6700 (or pre-Dynasys mtb) rear.

si f wrote:- SRAM 10 speed shifters are compatible with SRAM mtb RDs e.g. X9

They are cross compatible in terms of cable pull as long as they are in the same Exact (i.e. not mixing with the 1:1) actuation family, as in https://www.sram.com/sram/road/technologies/exact-actuation

Separately you might need to think about chain width/directionality, dependent on what you intend to mix and match.
si f

Post by si f »

Sorry my delay in replying - I was expecting to be notified by CTC of a response via email, but it never came :oops:

Thanks for your answers. Ah yes, it seems I forgot to specify front or rear derailleurs - I meant rear. I'm going to use a road derailleur, with a road crankset, on the front

I think I'm going to play it safe and stick to 10 speed SRAM for compatability purposes (with a 10 speed cassette)

Cheers

Si