Fitting folding tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DaveP

Fitting folding tyres

Post by DaveP »

This afternoon I fitted my newly acquired Marathon Dureme tandem rated tyres to the umm, well tandem...No surprises there, then, you might think.
There were for me! I've carted a folding tyre around as a spare in the past, but never actually fitted one. These things - it was a wrestling match!
The first bead went on ok. No tighter than expected (finger pressure). In with the partly inflated tube. No problem. D'you think I could get the second bead into the rim? Not without an extra couple of pairs of hands I couldn't!
In the end I managed it, but I had to use a toe strap to hold one point in alignment while I worked around the rim.
What I'd like to know, is this just because they were new and spread pretty flat in the box? Will they behave as normal after being inflated on a rim for a few days, or do I need to permanently add a toe strap to my puncture kit?
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
531colin

Re: Fitting folding tyres

Post by 531colin »

After a couple of days riding, they lose the zig-zag bead, so life gets easier.
If the first bead goes on easily, the second bead should as well.......after all, the rim well is the same depth for both beads.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

they are very often a bit tight first time round, then a bit slacker when you come to deal with them again.

BTW apologies if this is bloomin' obvious, but if the tube is well rounded out, it is sometimes more difficult to get the second bead to go into (or stay in) the well of the rim.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've never had a problem fitting folding tyres or wired FTM and the bigger the tyre section the easier it is.
Unfold the tyre on a table or bench so it's reasonably roundish,put some air into an innertube,just enough so it holds it's shape.
Put the tube in the tyre.
Put the valve in the valve hole and get the first bead onto the rim.
Get as much of the second bead onto the rim as possible.
Let just enough air out of the tube to get the second bead into the well of the rim(which should be the bit at 90deg to the valve)hold the wheel with that bit of the rim into your waste by holding the wheel by the opposite side ie;the farthest away from your stomach.
Working with the thumbs,get as much of the second bead on as possible.
If the last bit is too hard by hand have a tyre lever on hand ready to finish off.

You'll find that little bit of air in the tube will keep it out of harms way when using a tyre lever so it won't get 'nipped'.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

reohn2 wrote:I've never had a problem fitting folding tyres or wired FTM and the bigger the tyre section the easier it is.
Unfold the tyre on a table or bench so it's reasonably roundish,put some air into an innertube,just enough so it holds it's shape.
Put the tube in the tyre.
Put the valve in the valve hole and get the first bead onto the rim.
Get as much of the second bead onto the rim as possible.
Let just enough air out of the tube to get the second bead into the well of the rim(which should be the bit at 90deg to the valve)hold the wheel with that bit of the rim into your waste by holding the wheel by the opposite side ie;the farthest away from your stomach.
Working with the thumbs,get as much of the second bead on as possible.
If the last bit is too hard by hand have a tyre lever on hand ready to finish off.

You'll find that little bit of air in the tube will keep it out of harms way when using a tyre lever so it won't get 'nipped'.

I do that to fit my 406 tyres on the trike/trailer and I've only got one hand which can make it even more "FUN".
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Get one of these, saves hours of struggling and sore thumbs, I promise you, you won't regret it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... d_i=468294
Attachments
316XSyOkYrL.jpg
Beauty will save the world.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Sorry! it seems that I have described my difficulties les clearly than I thought I had :oops:
My problem was not in getting the last bit to pop inside the rim - they were a little tight maybe, I couldn't make do with thumb pressure, but not really a problem.
My difficulties were in getting the second bead started.These tyres do have an extra heavy duty carcass which is a lot springier than the Pasela Tourguard I have carried as a spare
In the box the tyres were almost flat and ribbon like. When unfolded and teased into a more normal profile they adopted a very wide, open u shaped cross section. My problem was that when I started to tuck the second bead into the rim it kept springing open, and try as I might, I couldn't prevail without help - in this case, a toe strap.
It sounds a bit trivial now, I suppose, but the fact remains that If I had had the tyres fitted for me and then encountered this at the roadside it would have been bit of a problem.
Is a spell of being fitted to a wheel likely to modify the free shape so that the beads naturally come closer together?

I suppose the odd toe strap is a handy thing to have about, deliberately carrying one wouldn't be such a big deal. Its curiosity as much as anything!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I always start fitting the second bead at the valve.
Push the valve down and tuck the bead under it and let the valve back up.
This holds the first part of the bead in place.
Fit around a quarter one way before doing the rest of the bead going the other.
As I've only one hand/arm after an accident I find it the easiest to do it that way.
If I start away from the valve then I cannot keep the first part seated long enough to get anywhere.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

DaveP wrote:.................
Is a spell of being fitted to a wheel likely to modify the free shape so that the beads naturally come closer together?.............

Yes.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

DaveP wrote:.......... My problem was that when I started to tuck the second bead into the rim it kept springing open, and try as I might, I couldn't prevail without help - in this case, a toe strap.
It sounds a bit trivial now, I suppose, but the fact remains that If I had had the tyres fitted for me and then encountered this at the roadside it would have been bit of a problem.
Is a spell of being fitted to a wheel likely to modify the free shape so that the beads naturally come closer together?

I suppose the odd toe strap is a handy thing to have about, deliberately carrying one wouldn't be such a big deal. Its curiosity as much as anything!

I see,it's a toestrap or similar(is there anything similar?).
If the tyre carcass is so stiff I don't think Tiger's tip with the valve would hold it.
Toestraps who'd be without one? :)
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

531colin wrote:
DaveP wrote:.................
Is a spell of being fitted to a wheel likely to modify the free shape so that the beads naturally come closer together?.............

Yes.

+1
W H Auden
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

reohn2 wrote: Toestraps who'd be without one? :)

Um, actually I would — never used 'em.

Getting the Tandem Duremes on is a bit of a struggle the first time, but a bit of stout string will do the job of a toe-strap if you really need it. However as long as the first part of the bead is pressed into the well I find I can manage with just thumbs … and a heavy dollop of patience, ± just a smidge of profanity :oops:

By way of consolation, Mrs. M-k and I think you've got the best tandem tire you could have (and they're no longer available — we just bought the last two pairs we could find). For our local…um…unpredictable road surfaces of tarmac, gravel, potholes, and just plain dirt, the Tandem Duremes handle them all with aplomb — with good control and reasonably speed. (Not so good in mud.) For the uncertainties of touring, they're ideal.

We mourn their passing :(
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mistik-ka wrote:
reohn2 wrote: Toestraps who'd be without one? :)

Um, actually I would — never used 'em.....

Ihaven't used them for their intended purpose for over 20years but find endless uses for 10 or so I have left.
SPD's,the best thing since sliced bread :)

I take my grand children out on our childback tandem,I find toeclips and straps great for keeping their feet on the pedals :) .
W H Auden
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

reohn2 wrote:
DaveP wrote:.......... My problem was that when I started to tuck the second bead into the rim it kept springing open, and try as I might, I couldn't prevail without help - in this case, a toe strap.

I see,it's a toestrap or similar(is there anything similar?).
If the tyre carcass is so stiff I don't think Tiger's tip with the valve would hold it.
Toestraps who'd be without one? :)

Re-usable cable ties-wouldn`t be without them. Just the thing for attaching a rake or broom handle to a top tube.
BruceJ

Post by BruceJ »

I understand exactly what you are getting at, DaveP. Received three such tyres from PlanetX yesterday and had a grand wrestling match in the bike shed fitting two of them to the tandem today with the help of toe straps.