Adjust the spline on a Sturmey 5 gears so that anti r

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ricjhill

Adjust the spline on a Sturmey 5 gears so that anti r

Post by ricjhill »

Can I adjust the spline on a Sturmey X-RD5(W) so that anti rotational washers fit a forward facing horizonal drop out.
At the moment the brake mechanism obstructs this. Is it possible to disassemble from the brake side of the mechanism and rotate the axle spline 60 degrees relative to the brake fulcrum?

Note: I have tried not using the anti-rotation washers but my wheel moves slowly forward and needs to be put back after every 20 miles..
Brucey

Re: Adjust the spline on a Sturmey 5 gears so that anti r

Post by Brucey »

yes you can do exactly that (which is why -unlike shimano- SA don't bother making innumerable versions of single tab NTWs); the brake plate is not in any way keyed to the axle, just trapped between the locknut and cone.

So the only trap for the unwary is disturbing the bearing adjustment. The spacer with the four notches in it is keyed to the LH cone; that needs to stay in the same position w.r.t. the flats on the axle (if you start with the correct adjustment), even though it may try to turn when the brake plate is moved or the locknut re-tightened.

BTW it is very much the best thing if you use an NTW on both sides of the hub, rather than just one side.

HTH

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~