32 spoke 29er MTB wheel for touring?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
recordacefromnew

Re: 32 spoke 29er MTB wheel for touring?

Post by recordacefromnew »

reohn2 wrote:recordacefromnew
It's quite a while since I stripped an Alivio hub but last time I did the cones were nowhere near the same quality as XT's even just by looking at them.
Standard Deore cones look the same as XT, but Deore hubs don't feel anywhere near as smooth as XT and IME don't last as long either.
I have an M435 six bolt disc rear hub on one bike that is rougher still than standard Deore.

Checking the Shimano tech docs site and thought there is some interchangeability between groups,all different series have their own codes for freehub bodies,and cones.

Frustratingly I can't seem to find exploded views of M756 hubs on the site at all.

A link to the exploded diagram of the M756 is in my post above. So is the comparable Alivio MC18, which surprisingly is actually for all intent and purpose identical to the Deore M510 hub:

https://www.paul-lange.de/support/shimano/explosionszeichnungen_archiv/FH//FH-M510.PDF

My experience with Shimano hubs is that there can be big variation between hubs even for the same model brand new in terms of condition (amount of grease, adjustment and yes amount of rust!). I would recommend anyone who has bought their hubs to open them up and check / adjust before use. I suspect this is what the best wheel builders do.
Brucey

Re: 32 spoke 29er MTB wheel for touring?

Post by Brucey »

I agree there are many parts that are common to many different shimano hubs. In the case of alivio MC-18 hubs, I always thought that this meant that they were excellent quality (apart from the LH hub cup which is clearly not the same quality as the rest of it) and therefore a bargain, rather than conclude that the XT ones were in any way poor per se.

I have seen many more failed Alivio hubs than XT ones; I think that people 'don't bother maintaining 'cheap hubs' '....

Since the bearing adjustment varies when you build a wheel, and shimano appear to be saving money on grease... :roll: I always open up new hubs and service them properly.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~