Removing disc brake mounts from frame

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Dave855

Removing disc brake mounts from frame

Post by Dave855 »

The disc mounts on my Dawes Sardar (steel version) are providing a little interference with the mounting of my rear rack. I've no intention of using the mounts in future. Can I just cut them off and touch up with paint? Or is there more to it than that? Obviously I wouldn't cut completely flush with the frame.

Thanks,

David
Brucey

Re: Removing disc brake mounts from frame

Post by Brucey »

I would imagine that 99 times out of 100 removal as you describe will be just fine. The 100th time it may turn out that the heat of welding the bracket on has weakened the steel and once the bracket itself is gone, the frame is less than ideally strong.

More often than that it may turn out that there is a change of mind later on and you may come to regret taking the disc mount off; I'd leave it on if at all possible.

Any pics?

Normally there are ways and means of allowing you to fit a rack around unused disc mounts; it is a lot easier to do this than fit a rack around used disc mounts and people manage that OK!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I've never dealt with disc mount, and probably never want to :) , but is it possible (if not using the mounts for callipers) that you could mount the stays for the 'guards on the calliper mounts?
Just a thought, and it may be widly off track :oops: I've now read your message again and realised my mistake! Maybe mount the rack, but it would need an adaptor plate!
sreten

Post by sreten »

Hi,

There must be a simpler option, what would you do with a disc rear wheel ?

rgds, sreten.
Dave855

Post by Dave855 »

P1010194.JPG

The rack attaches to the mount that currently has the mudguards attached to it. The lower part of the disc brake mount interferes with this and I would like to remove it if possible. There is no possibility of using disc brakes in future.

David
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
If you must this would be my best action of cut.
Attachments
P1010194-a.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Dave855

Post by Dave855 »

Thanks,

The top mount is not an issue but I would need to cut the bottom mount a bit closer to the frame than that. Surely as long as I don't cut into the weld area there shouldn't be any issue?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if the clash is one that can be solved by using a spacer just a few mm wide, I'd do that instead.

I'd also suggest that you use a long bolt through from the inside of the dropout, and a nyloc nut etc on the outside; this gives a much more secure arrangement. You can use the disc mount (or a mount on the rack) to mount the mudguards to.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi
Brucey wrote:if the clash is one that can be solved by using a spacer just a few mm wide, I'd do that instead.

I'd also suggest that you use a long bolt through from the inside of the dropout, and a nyloc nut etc on the outside; this gives a much more secure arrangement. You can use the disc mount (or a mount on the rack) to mount the mudguards to.

cheers

Was going to say all that but I am guessing that the OP wants least fuss and not happered by an additional bracket.
Personally I would not cut anything off the main frame.
Spacing the rack and even a simple bracket / your idea with a bolt extension is my best too.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

remvoing them might affect the 2nd hand value?