Campagnolo parts identification

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
breakwellmz

Campagnolo parts identification

Post by breakwellmz »

I would like to identify in more detail these components.Not being familiar with moderns Campagnolo stuff and no visible part numbers or date codes doesn`t exactly help. :roll:
The`BB system`one has 11`clicks`the other one has ten, is it as simple as that? I had assumed they would be 8 or 9 speed by a guess at their age.
The rear mech only has`Campagnolo` with no indication of groupset.
Year of manufacture, number of speeds, double or triple etc?

Cheers.
Attachments
Edge (Small).jpg
foxyrider

Re: Campagnolo parts identification

Post by foxyrider »

wow - 80's Ergo's! Mech looks like Athena but i'm sure the anaraks can be more specific! :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Rear mech - the shape of the cable clamping nut and the presence of an adjuster says this is from an indexed set which I'd suggest is an early 90s MTB mech, specifically which group I cannot say offhand. That makes it 8 speed.

The levers are newer than that and will be capable of double or triple, and of course not limited by number of "speeds".

edit - foxyrider could be right. It might be an Athena triple mech. This 91 catalogue http://www.campyonly.com/catalogs/1991.html shows there is no obvious difference between the Athena and some of the MTB range. I looked for the grey jockey wheels but the catalogue is not that clear. Velobase is very useful but of course does not show everything http://www.velobase.com/
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

"Carbon" would be into the ninetys.?
The pointy tops to the rubbers could also be into the late ninetys as well.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
mig

Post by mig »

i'd say an unmatching pair of chorus 8spd road levers. the one in the middle of the photo is exactly the one i had on a TT bike of that era.

i've never seen that mech before.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Ergo's are from 1995-ish.

Edit: I'm plumping for 1996 as the 1995 version simply had 'CARBON' above the brake lever, whilst 1997 (9-speed) had additional text on the brake lever.

No idea about the rear mech but it does remind me of the time when one of the larger mail order companies of that era sent me a frameset with a Chorus 8-speed rear mech in the box without explanation. As it was loose and unpackaged I've always assumed it was knocked off a bench or table and fell into the box. Happy days!
Last edited by Spinners on 21 Nov 2014, 12:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mig

Post by mig »

aye i'd agree. mine are '96 as it happens but could well be.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC the mech is an early 90's one as others have said, maybe a '91 or '92? If the inner pulley cage plate is ally then I vote for 'chorus' (or equivalent MTB version) but if it is steel then another lower gruppo perhaps.

Is that two left side ergos or is one missing its thumb button?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

Thanks all.

It would of helped if i was counting the clicks on the RH changers not these BLOODY LH ONES!!! DAMN THAT FAULTY BRAIN!

Oops :oops:

I just photographed one side of each of the two pairs i have, the thumb trigger is hidden, and the rear jockey plate is steel Brucey.They are 8s having just counted them on the RH ones. :roll:

I like the mechanism BTW, very Campagnolo.I have some 8 speed/friction DT shifters(Syncron?), and you can see the family resemblance back to them.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

1996 Chorus 8 speed. The LH Ergolever will be both double and triple compatible, as you no doubt know.
I should coco.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Rear mech is either probably Icarus or Centaur (I forget which, one looked as per picture, the other had the smoothed off rounded aero look - like shimano - lower tension spring cover). Icarus/Centaur started about 1990 or so. I got mine in 1990 when overhauling my tourer. It was as per picture with grey jockey wheels (loose ball bearings by the way should be able to see thin cone spanner hex flats on jockey wheel side plates (not discernable in the photo) - if not, suspect a cheaper groupset?).
Yours is a later version than the one I had. In the picture the index adjuster screws directly into the alloy housing. In the 1990 version I had, the Campag designers were over cautious, rather than a threaded hole in the alloy housing, they had a bigger plain hole. In this hole sat the standard sized adjuster with a surrounding threaded spacer. Thus to adjust the indexing you needed 2 hands, one to turn the adjuster, one to hold the threaded spacer still.
I used mine as 7 speed, but they also worked as 8 speed. They were probably made for 8s, to run mine on 7s I had to fit a longer low stop screw to reach the adjustment point.
I'm not sure for how long these were made. My disclaimer on the Icarus/Centaur modelling is that Campag have been notorious for making identical looking but different models, and once the model name wears off, there is little clue as to what the model is. At least Mr Shimano stamps a model number on somewhere!
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

Thank you all.

I do like the look and feel of Campagnolo kit such as this.
I`ve just started to re-assemble a pair or Synchro downtube shifters from a bag of loose bits.Some of the pieces are like works of art. :D

Cheers
Attachments
$_57.JPG
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

do you know which insert you have? You could buy inserts which (allegedly) allowed all kinds of weird combinations to give 'indexed' function, and they all used inserts with different notch spacings.

When they first came out I thought them rather clumsy in design, and (for DT levers) somewhat bulky-looking. Time has since mellowed my view of them somewhat.

Back in the day I went with SunTour Superbe Pro levers, running a Dura-Ace rear mech. This allowed me to switch between indexed 6s, indexed 7s, and friction modes, all with a turn of the adjuster on the gear lever (which was small and neat in appearance by comparison). I thought them a top piece of kit at the time and I still rate them now in fact.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Ah, gear levers. When I got my rear mech, it clearly refused to index at all with the rear gear. Eventually I sent the levers back to Campag, who duely lost the levers and eventually sent replacements along with a selection of indexing inserts. The levers that didn't work had a reletively small cable wrap diameter, the ones they returned that did work had a bigger cable wrap diameter. From your photo yours look as though they have the smaller cable wrap diameter, so may not index with your mech.
I think the larger cable wrap diameter was for the ATB rear mechs, smaller cable wrap diameter for road rear mechs.
The levers I originally purshased, and the ones eventually sent back to me only had 1 RH lever, not the 2nd smaller lever as per your photo. In those days, Holdsworth had just stopped being the sole Campag distributor, and with it stopped the availability of Campag technical information - we just don't know how lucky we are with the web and all technical documents + Sheldon Brown to hand.
Brucey is correct on the (production of at least) selection of inserts (which wre different colours for different speeds/mechs to help identification). I had a black insert, and I think yellow and silver ones, I don't know how many others were available.
I think the black one ran my 7 speed (standard screw on freewheel then standard 7s Shimano cassette). The levers were a bit cluncky at first due to the rather strong indexing springs. After a few years use(!) they started to feel a bit smoother. After about 15 years, one of the 2 indexing springs broke (indexing had become rather poor), but fortunately Mr Campag had also included a couple of spare springs when he sent me some levers back.
I sold the mech plus all the spare bits a few months back, one of the inserts now doing duty with the same rear mech on a 6 speed freewheel.