Pumps and new Galaxies

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DaveP

Pumps and new Galaxies

Post by DaveP »

A friend has recently bought a new Galaxy and is wondering what to do about a pump because he can't see any obvious way of fitting one to the frame as it stands.
I haven't seen it yet, but I've studied photo's on line, and I cant see an obvious way either. It all seems a bit odd - there is provision for carrying spare spokes, but not a pump - and I know which I'm more likely to need!
Are we having a senior moment?
If not, then is there a neat and easy solution short of carrying a pump in a pannier?
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Brucey

Re: Pumps and new Galaxies

Post by Brucey »

will frame fit pump not simply fit on the seat tube? (It looks to me that in most (or all?) sizes the included angle at the seat tube/top tube is less than 90 degrees)

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Brucey wrote:will frame fit pump not simply fit on the seat tube? (It looks to me that in most (or all?) sizes the included angle at the seat tube/top tube is less than 90 degrees)

cheers

Maybe at the expense of the loss of a bottle cage though?
RickH

Post by RickH »

Many compact pumps come with an offset bracket that attaches to the bottle cage bosses. One such is the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HPG/HP has been recommended by others on here. There was discussion recently about getting one to fit behind the seat tube on a frame with sufficient space there.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

My mt bike pump came with a pair of clamps a a tie that hold it at the side of the down tube bottle cage
has tabs that go under the cage attachment

pump clamp that attach under  bottle cage
pump clamp that attach under bottle cage
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

fastpedaller wrote:
Brucey wrote:will frame fit pump not simply fit on the seat tube? (It looks to me that in most (or all?) sizes the included angle at the seat tube/top tube is less than 90 degrees)

cheers

Maybe at the expense of the loss of a bottle cage though?

sure, but then they can be fitted to the rear of the seat tube instead, in many cases.

cheers
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

What about a frame fit Pump Such as Zefal or Parktool. I have the Parktool on my Audax. I also have a biologic seatpost pump on my folder I would have one on the Audax as well as they are real neat solution but they are only rated to 100 PSI so the chances of getting much above 80 psi are slim, but it is great for MTB style pressures
NUKe

Post by fastpedaller »

NUKe wrote: I also have a biologic seatpost pump on my folder I would have one on the Audax as well as they are real neat solution but they are only rated to 100 PSI so the chances of getting much above 80 psi are slim, but it is great for MTB style pressures

Hey that's a neat solution. :idea: what old bits do I have in the garage!
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I was aware of the Lezyne micro floor drive - certainly seems to be a good pump. The only reservation I would have about is that in the past I have found that pumps mounted beside the seat tube bottle do tend to get very wet and dirty compared to pumps carried elsewhere.

I find myself wondering if a large HPX under the top tube, located by the head tube and seat tube and held up by a couple of Velcro straps round the top tube would be satisfactory. I know its a boringly traditional sort of location, but its otherwise unused...

Its great to have other options available, but the more I think of it, the more irritating I find it not to be offered this simple way to carry a simple pump. If I was looking to buy, this could be a deal breaker for me. Hello Dawes! Are you listening there?
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

zefal (and others for all I know) also make plastic band-on pump pegs. Using those you can fit a pump to anything.

I guess if Dawes fitted a pump peg, it would be to the accompaniment of howls of protest from those who habitually use pumps that don't fit to a pump peg. That is the price to be paid for such a wide choice of pumps these days I guess.

Personally under the top tube is the position of last resort on any kind of unladen bike; you can't shoulder the bike with one stashed there.

cheers
dbennett1882

Pumps and new Galaxies

Post by dbennett1882 »

Maybe the specs have changed but on my 2007 super-galaxy there were 3 sets of bottle cage attachment point. One of these was on the forward side of the down tube. Only useful if you needed a big store of water. I used it to store a mini-morph pump. it was in a dirt prone position so I stored it in an old sock to keep the worst of the elements at bay. The advantage being that when you need a pump it's usually raining so the wheel is filthy anyway. Put the sock over your hand when dealing with any muddy parts and discard it later. I always store my multi tool inside an old sock for the same reason. I once was given a book called 1001 tips for cyclists. this was the only one I ever used but it's a good one ( in my opinion)