Raleigh Randonneur with damaged fork - repair or replace?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hutchisonjtw

Re: Raleigh Randonneur with damaged fork - repair or replace

Post by hutchisonjtw »

Thanks fatboy - I looked into this option and the quote was £91 (£46 for fitting the new tube, plus the cost of having the forks resprayed as the brazing burns off the paint). This is not unreasonable, but given that I'm not sure if the frame is the right size I wonder if a new bike might be a better option.

Jezrant: the Randonneur in Hampshire looks interesting, but unfortunately is probably a bit far from me (Cambridgeshire). Also, whilst I like the idea of a "classic" bike, I can see the benefits of a modern frame like being able to go to more than 7 gears without springing the frame or other fudges, so something new does have a certain appeal.

So a new frame is the option that I'm leaning towards currently, with options including the Spa steel tourer suggested by Jezrant and the Surly frames mentioned. Anyone have any thoughts on what my frame might be worth with forks in their current state? I'm guessing not much, but every little helps towards the new frame budget!

Thanks all for the interesting and helpful comments so far.
hutchisonjtw

Post by hutchisonjtw »

Also, Brucey, I'm intrigued by your suggestion that an Ahead adaptor with a threadless headset might solve my problem. Would this involve using the wider top part of the adaptor in the headset as you normally would with the steerer? Would this then result in only a small section of the adaptor protuding above the headset, making bar height adjustment tricky?

Another issue is that there is probably a good 10 cm of the old stem remaining stuck inside the steerer which would mean dramatically shortening the steerer to cut this off. But given a long-enough stem adaptor it might still work perhaps?
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

hutchisonjtw wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on what my frame might be worth with forks in their current state? I'm guessing not much, but every little helps towards the new frame budget!

Hmmm, a resprayed Randonneur frame bought on eBay three years ago that's spent the past three years outside and now has a wrecked steerer and 10cm of stem still stuck inside? £30? :(
hutchisonjtw

Post by hutchisonjtw »

Mmm, I was afraid that might be the case :(
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

There are always decent used touring bikes and frames for sale at reasonable prices in the forum's classified ads. A good one will come along soon if you keep an eye out. :) You could also place a wanted ad and see what turns up.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Jezrant wrote:
hutchisonjtw wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on what my frame might be worth with forks in their current state? I'm guessing not much, but every little helps towards the new frame budget!

Hmmm, a resprayed Randonneur frame bought on eBay three years ago that's spent the past three years outside and now has a wrecked steerer and 10cm of stem still stuck inside? £30? :(

:o More like 30p