Pannier trailer in the making

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ianpallen

Re: Pannier trailer in the making

Post by ianpallen »

Good point there. Thanks. The line from hitch to wheel axle is straight down the cross bar and rear forks (seat stay ?). Anything below htis is low centre of gravity. I put a straight edge on the first picture and it all lines up. The panniers are lower than this but i think the tops come just a bit higher. Not by much though. It has been fun making them up and seeing what the out come is. My son is looking ofrward to taking it out on a test run, but I think he is just looking forward to riding my bike as he says it is a better ride than his. lol.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

What were you thinking? You could hardly park that outside the local supermarket! :lol:
An interesting idea though - shame it didn't work out. I wouldn't have expected to encounter problems with just the empty trailer either.
I don't know what weight limits might have applied to a child using one of these, but I suspect a large shop, for example, could come close, with the important difference that the child would normally be "self centering" whereas "stuff" is just a dead weight. I have read that it can be a bit alarming if the child goes to sleep mid ride...
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
ianpallen

Post by ianpallen »

I think supermarkets would be a bit miffed, but as the trollies are the same and only identified by their coloured handles, no can say it was theirs. lol

It may not be a perfect trailer, but it has been fun building it and it has kept me and my son busy for a few hours. :D

I might put it back as a tag along and sell it. I told my son that he might prefer the Avenir Mule when it comes compared to the 'home made' one. lol

I am thinking of looking for a single child carrier trailer to convert and fit a box or suitcase to it. In the touring section with subsection 'Trailers', I like Mikes trailer with the orange suitcase on it. I cannot afford a Y frame trailer, but I suppose any two wheel trailer would do to fit a samsonite case to it. :wink:
I keep looking locally to see if a cheap or free case is in the offering. :wink:
ianpallen

Post by ianpallen »

Project abandoned. lol. I have rebuilt it back as a tag along and selling it as I have a new in the box Avenir Mule trailer now which is lighter and better to tow.
My son took the project out for a test ride and it was better with lower panniers, but he prefered to tow the mule trailer.
It was fun making it and only took 10 mins rebuilding it back to a tag along. Not much to them really. lol. Now I am after another two wheeled trailer
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

ianpallen wrote:Project abandoned. lol. I have rebuilt it back as a tag along and selling it as I have a new in the box Avenir Mule trailer now which is lighter and better to tow.
My son took the project out for a test ride and it was better with lower panniers, but he prefered to tow the mule trailer.
It was fun making it and only took 10 mins rebuilding it back to a tag along. Not much to them really. lol. Now I am after another two wheeled trailer

At least you remain positive Ian! I've still got the unenviable task of dragging my 15kg 5 year old to school! Self leveling ballast? Quite the opposite :lol:

My favourite part of you project was the trolley. It looks pretty damn good to me. Pity it wobbled...........hc
ianpallen

Post by ianpallen »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
ianpallen wrote:Project abandoned. lol. I have rebuilt it back as a tag along and selling it as I have a new in the box Avenir Mule trailer now which is lighter and better to tow.

At least you remain positive Ian! I've still got the unenviable task of dragging my 15kg 5 year old to school! Self leveling ballast? Quite the opposite :lol:

My favourite part of you project was the trolley. It looks pretty damn good to me. Pity it wobbled...........hc

Thanks. I think the trolley part on it looked great. Pity it was top heavy. lol.
I have a new project bike now. I will put it up in a new post. :wink: