grease brake cable inners or not?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
portkatterno

Re: grease brake cable inners or not?

Post by portkatterno »

What is the main ingredient in Cable Magic. Magic is not enough for me. :)
CJ

Post by CJ »

portkatterno wrote:What is the main ingredient in Cable Magic. Magic is not enough for me. :)

It looks like a suspension (after at least 5 minutes of vigorous shaking!) of Teflon dust in synthetic oil.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

CJ wrote:
portkatterno wrote:What is the main ingredient in Cable Magic. Magic is not enough for me. :)

It looks like a suspension (after at least 5 minutes of vigorous shaking!) of Teflon dust in synthetic oil.

in which case it may be nigh-on indistinguishable from what you get if you let the solvent evaporate from GT85; I've examined this stuff under a microscope and it has flakes of PTFE in it, floating around in an oil of moderate weight. I guess the oil is about 15% by volume when it comes out of the can.

Interestingly I tried the same examination with TF2 spray and although the oil content was similar I couldn't see any PTFE flakes in it, even at very high magnification. I'd expect to see particles ~5um in size or perhaps a touch smaller, so if they are there in TF2, they are smaller than that.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eammno

Post by Eammno »

I've always pulled the new cable across a candle a couple of times before installing, is this not the done thing these days?
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Eammno wrote:I've always pulled the new cable across a candle a couple of times before installing, is this not the done thing these days?

No, we've all moved on to acetylene lamps now. :D
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Bumping this old thread, in case anyone has anything to add.

I’m particularly interested in stuff that doesn’t affect the lining in cable outers, and warmings against what does or might would be helpful.

I note that cable magic is no longer available.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Cyclothesist

Post by Cyclothesist »

I just flush the outers with GT85 before putting the cable through. Grease seems to me a bit too sticky for cables. I do put a blob of grease on the rear brake cable exit for my Spyres in an attempt to reduce water ingress. That by itself isn't sufficient so have split the cable outer and added a Middleburn oiler (see pic, available from SJS, BETD and others) at the lowest point beside the bb - that lets water drain out and facilitates squishing GT85 or in winter wet lube in. Since then I've never had my rear brake cable freeeze in the outer.
co-4mm-x3.jpg
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I just run a little engine oil onto the inner wire.
Years ago when the cable outer was just net curtain wire (no lining tube) and inners were galvanised, I used to grease on assembly and oil periodically afterwards.
Now I use lined spiral wound brake outer, compression less gear outer and die drawn (smooth) stainless inners, with a bit of engine oil. Never had any bother with that arrangement, although that could be different with internal cable runs where you have limited ability to add lube when it’s all assembled. With exposed bare cable runs, maintenance is easy, except front brake cable under the bar tape gives little access
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

I've found the likes of GT85 and bicycle greases to be a bit of a disaster - the lubrication seems to help but a week later performance is worse than before anything was added. I assume this is because the lubricant has damaged the plastic liner. For new installations I find whatever the cable manufacturer (which for me is normally Shimano or Jagwire) to have used is fine on its own. For any later works I have found silicone grease to work and not damage any cable liners. Shimano sell a bespoke product for cables but it is quite spendy.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW I have had good results with finish line grease which uses a synthetic base oil which I think perhaps doesn't go for liners in the same way. I think GT85 is OK when mixed with it but also that WD-40 isn't.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~