New duct tape ?????

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: New duct tape ?????

Post by Brucey »

regardless of the origins of the word(s), my point was that you can buy 'duck tape' that isn't 'duct tape' in a similar way (presumably) as you can buy 'Hoover' products that are not vacuum cleaners.

It also turns out that the one thing you shouldn't use most tape sold as 'duct tape' for is....

...sealing ducts. Unless it is specially manufactured for the purpose and has specific certifications, it is quite likely to fail after a fairly short (in relation to the lifetime of building) period of time.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RonK

New duct tape ?????

Post by RonK »

Bicycler wrote:Not this one again...

...no-ones going to win :wink:

"duck tape" was used earlier.

Perhaps - if you accept Duck brand's self-serving claim.

I suspect there is a kernel of truth in the origin of the name, but it lays in the US Army's nomenclature, and has as much to do with ducks as the amphibious military vehicle (DUKW) does.

Much in the same way as the phonetic pronounciation of the acronym for general purpose has become both a brand and a generic name for another type of vehicle (Jeep).

No doubt (just like the vehicle) the US Army's general purpose tape was supplied by more than just one manufacturer.
Last edited by RonK on 15 Nov 2014, 12:01am, edited 2 times in total.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

There was a rather (un)interesting article on this I read a long while back and allegedly there is a difference of opinion regarding what the 'duck' referred to, the waterproofing qualities or the duck cotton in the tape. Incidentally duck is the name given to the way the cotton is woven, not anything to do with the bird. No ducks were harmed in the making of your Carradice :wink:
RonK

New duct tape ?????

Post by RonK »

Bicycler wrote:There was a rather (un)interesting article on this I read a long while back and allegedly there is a difference of opinion regarding what the 'duck' referred to, the waterproofing qualities or the duck cotton in the tape. Incidentally duck is the name given to the way the cotton is woven, not anything to do with the bird. No ducks were harmed in the making of your Carradice :wink:

I think that is a dubious claim also, since cotton duck is a strong heavy duty canvas type fabric, whereas the fabric in the tape is very light - much more like lawn than duck.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Bicycler wrote:Not this one again...

...no-ones going to win :wink:

"duck tape" was used earlier. "duct tape" became the industry standard spelling. "Ductape" and "Duck Tape" are brand names for the stuff.]

Take your pick :D

Sorry for stirring it up! I knew it as bookbinding tape when I grew up. Back on the original topic I can't quite figure out the stuff. Is it blu-tack (other trade names/brands available!) that sets hard?
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
pete75

Post by pete75 »

What beats me is some people call it gaffer tape. Should that stuff only be used by the boss?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Back to the original question... I think that this stuff could be used to make protective pads for where frames make contact with post when locked to them. It might provide a little bit of grip which will stop the bike from sliding and scraping paintwork.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

A lot of the suggested uses for this stuff can be done with builders silicone.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

-which isn't a million miles away, chemically speaking;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugru

I note with interest that it has but a six-month shelf life (which can be extended by refrigeration).

Re gaffer tape; a recent addition to the market is gorilla tape. You can buy a small 1" wide roll for £2.79 which seems like a reasonable size/cost/weight to pack in a touring kit. It'll still work after six months too I expect...

cheers
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Screwfix currently have the 1" stuff on offer at £1.59
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Got some of the Gorilla tape from Screwfix. It's tough stuff - materiel seems similar to that used for Ortlieb panniers. Tried it by sticking a strip to my desk - pulled it off and it removed some of the wood veneer. You're right Brucey it's probably a good addition to a touring tool kit.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

pete75 wrote:Got some of the Gorilla tape from Screwfix. It's tough stuff - materiel seems similar to that used for Ortlieb panniers. Tried it by sticking a strip to my desk - pulled it off and it removed some of the wood veneer.

blimey! :shock: I knew the glue was a cut above but I'm surprised at that!

You're right Brucey it's probably a good addition to a touring tool kit.

presumably those with veneered wooden bicycles need to use with caution.... :lol:

cheers
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

pete75 wrote:A lot of the suggested uses for this stuff can be done with builders silicone.

Interesting - what bike jobs have you done with that stuff?
Sweep
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Sweep wrote:
pete75 wrote:A lot of the suggested uses for this stuff can be done with builders silicone.

Interesting - what bike jobs have you done with that stuff?

Well never really needed anythingit to use on the bike but with bike related stuff yes. Sealed a cable entry on a friends front light with silicone and have used it to waterproof cleat fittings on SPD shoes , filling the spare cleat holes and sealing the cleat plate from inside the shoe. It does the job extremely well.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Brucey wrote:
pete75 wrote:Got some of the Gorilla tape from Screwfix. It's tough stuff - materiel seems similar to that used for Ortlieb panniers. Tried it by sticking a strip to my desk - pulled it off and it removed some of the wood veneer.

blimey! :shock: I knew the glue was a cut above but I'm surprised at that!

You're right Brucey it's probably a good addition to a touring tool kit.

presumably those with veneered wooden bicycles need to use with caution.... :lol:

cheers

Yep keep it away from your CB Italia rims......