Uncomfortably numb (hands)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Vorpal

Re: Uncomfortably numb (hands)

Post by Vorpal »

The fat commuter wrote:Regarding the bar ends, that leads me onto a question. I've managed to get one of the current grips off using brute force. Tried to get the new one on but it's a bit of a struggle. Looked on YouTube and it states to use a non oil based lubricant to assist in the removal and refitting. It recommends deodorant, hairspray or alcohol as they will lubricate and then dry or evaporate. I have (or rather, the wife has) hairspray, deodorant and surgical spirit. Which of those would be the best to use?

As Colin says, the hot water works well for getting them off. I Usually hair spray for putting them on, though. It's the only reason I keep the stuff around :D

It works well as a lubricant when wet, then is sticky to help keep grips in place when it dries.

You do have to be pretty quick getting the new grip in place, though. Otherwise it gets sticky before you are ready, and more hot water is required, anyway.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

^^

Yeah, following Colin's advice I used boiling water to soften the grips. I did try hairspray on the first grip but I think that it dried too quickly or maybe the hairspray was too strong. Even while the handlebars looked wet - in fact, the hairspray was dripping out as I was pushing the grip on and this was within five seconds of spraying. But the grip got about two thirds on and then it became obvious that it wouldn't go any further. I then took the grip back off, wiped the bar and soaked the grip in boiling water. Went on with a bit of a shove.

Second grip I didn't use hairspray, soaked the grip and quickly shoved it on. Much easier.

Regarding the new grips, they do seem much better than the old ones. I haven't done a decent ride with them yet though. However, when riding home from work I noticed that they were much less padded and also, although I hardly used the bar ends to rest on (other than as a little test), because the bar ends are there (and probably because of the lesser padding) I tended to not be gripping the grip as much.

Will see next week how they are on a decent ride. Working all week and on-call this weekend which will mean no cycling. On lates next week though so will likely get out for a spin a few times in the mornings.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

Just an update on this, I added ergon biokork grips to my BB butterfly bars with Phat Tape, since doing this I have had basically no issues with numbness myself and as per previous post setting up the bike position correctly was also really important.

This is a good article on understanding the hand and it's functions including the nerve, http://www.eorthopod.com/hand-anatomy/topic/157 The reason I am putting this in is I have also been trying a little experiment when I have been cycling although with all the modifications to my own set up it would be hard to say this is the solution but thought this would be worth passing on.

As the nerve compression occurs just below the wrist in the centre of the hand, I noticed i was flattening that part of the hand during cycling especially when tired this I believe is where the compression and damage leading to numbness occurs. I have made a specific point of not allowin the palm to flatten out keeping the nerve out of compression - I believe it has worked for me, I would be keen to hear if it helps anyone else? The act of keeping the muscles engaged I believe has also strengthened that whole area and made it far more stable.
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk