Attacked Locks

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mjr

Attacked Locks

Post by mjr »

I found various topics about what locks are best but no recent one on attacked locks.

Two locks I know have been attacked in the last month. Both cable locks.

One was an earlier (2010) version of http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... cable-lock - the lock and the lock case show scuffing in various places. It looks like they've tried to pick it (rather hamfistedly) and prise open the case, without success. Doesn't look like a particularly determined attempt - that cable is usually used only to secure a QR wheel while a D-lock is used for the frame, so maybe they spotted the second lock and gave up.

Another was an OnGuard Doberman which I think is the medium-duty key version http://www.onguardlock.com/store/doberman-8028 - I don't know if you can see in the attached picture but the underside/outside of the key-operated bar that clamps the pin at the end of the cable seems to be damaged. It's no longer on its axis at the end furthest from the key.There's also minor damage to the rings on the plastic lock case, lining up with the dent on the bar. I think something thin has been rammed in the tiny gap up the side of the pin when it's in the lock.

The lock was still closed - just as well, because it was the only lock in use just then - but once the key opened the lock (with some forcing), it no longer locks any more. It's possible to close the lock with some key-wiggling, but then it can be pulled open again: the locking no longer happens.

A set of small bolt-croppers were found nearby but there's no sign of an attempt to cut the cable. I don't know if the attacker was disturbed, didn't bother trying cropping this 12mm braid of braids cable, or successfully stole a nearby bike and left the croppers behind.

So, it seems like I've dodged two bullets, but now I need a new lock to replace the Doberman. I'm not sure whether to buy another Onguard (still a 12mm braid of braids but maybe something shorter) or something else. I'm looking through old threads viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89697 viewtopic.php?f=5&t=85210 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78533 viewtopic.php?f=36&t=65411 viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65825 but would welcome any new lock news.
Attachments
Onguard Doberman with bent locking bar
Onguard Doberman with bent locking bar
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Re: Attacked Locks

Post by mercalia »

It seems you current locks did the job?

More than anything you need to re think where you are leaving your bike? Clearly you are getting this wrong? I wont leave my ( only ) bike any where for long these days and do so in very busy places ( even that is no guarrantee as a ITV prpgramme showed where they placed some bikes in very busy places in London then went about using various tools incl bolt cutters to cut them - no one did any thing to stop them or call the cops) There are very few locks if any that cant be broken. There are so many u tube videos of this being demonstrated. So re think where you are leaving it and for how long & see if you can lower the risk

I think the standard advice is to use 2 differnt types so the thief has to have tools to handle both types. A U/D lock and a cable lock. The issue is how much weight are you prepared to carry? Abus and Kryptonite make some good locks - get one that has a Gold secure rating. I have 2 U locks both Kryptonite - A New York std that I was given me for free by Kryptonite as a replacement for a very old one ( life time warranty) and a Kryptonite New York M18 Lock I got as a replacement before I got the free on( very heavy ). Locking your bike is no guarantee. I had locked my Dawes Horizon in a Sainburys car park to go shopping and some one couldnt get the locks so destroyed the frame by I presume ramming a trolly into it!

The best thing though is to re think where you leave your bike.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:More than anything you need to re think where you are leaving your bike? Clearly you are getting this wrong?

I think it's more that I'm parking in a town less than 40 miles from Cambridge and it's still Freshers' season, with far too much potential to sell stolen bikes. I'm not sure exactly when the Revolution lock was attacked (I only know when I noticed the damage) but that's not been locked anywhere quiet or known as a theft hotspot recently. It's mostly been in popular cycle parks in the busier parts of the town centre, inside the no-motor-vehicle zone.

Where the Doberman was attacked is fairly quiet, but it's the best of three cycle parks near the destination. The one used is not visible from the street and behind a gate that is normally locked except for arrival/departure windows. The others are open to the street but still not overlooked by many people and one is known for bike theft. For reasons I'd rather not disclose (partly security through obscurity :oops:), a D-lock isn't possible for that bike when parked in that area.

Like you say, the locks worked this time. I feel these are already the best available bike parks - although I work as part of KLWNBUG which campaigns for better parking - but I want to try to make sure the locks work next time too.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I got a (take a deep breath) Abus Bordo Granit X-Plus Folding Lock back in the spring and have been pleased with it.

I had been thinking of getting a more secure lock & the necessity of parking my bike in some less salubrious parts of town for several hours (while doing some training) prompted me to take action. I plumped for the offer from Tredz as they came up as one of the cheapest & also popped up a £5 off first purchase voucher when I browsed the site.

AFAIK mine hasn't been put to the test but, in use, it works well. The rubbery plastic case it comes in will strap onto the frame but it will also bolt onto a set of bottle bosses. The bars are rubber coated & the lock has a rubber cover so you aren't bashing the bike with metal parts. With the front wheel removed it will lock the frame & both wheels to a Sheffield stand.

RoadCC did a review in 2010 which seemed to give it a favourable nod in terms of security. By the look of it the rubber covering/coating is a later modification. I don't know if the plastic cover on the end of the lock is still vulnerable but it is at least now hidden/covered by the rubber cover

Here is how is it currently attached - on my road bike's seat tube bosses which keeps the weight fairly central & low down.
IMG_0316_e (Small).jpg
IMG_0317_e (Small).jpg

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

In this day and age I'm amazed that we still need locks that weigh over 1Kg and yet provide little more that a delay or discouragement to a thief. I cannot believe with all the materials technology we have that we can't do better.

Or even come up with better solutions to stop (or catch) bike thieves. Be it something for the bike or maybe just secure parking or anything ... there must be something better that a "delay" weighing nearly 2Kg.

Ian
james01

Post by james01 »

If it's necessary to carry all this hardware it's arguable that a cheap 2nd hand bike is the better option in high-risk areas. If the worst happens then at least you don't suffer the upset and devastation of losing an expensive machine, you just go and buy another £30 hack from Gumtree.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I've bought a new lock that is similar to the Doberman because there doesn't appear to have been much progress in the year we've had it. One LBS owner apologised for being out of stock of thicker locks until tomorrow and agreed that we're still in nicked-bikes-to-Cambridge season.

I'm glad to hear that folding lock seems good. I could only find the earlier (I think) Bordo 6000 being power-tooled on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDgI_KL7n4o and not the Granit X-Plus version. That may be why some online retailers are now selling the 6000 for under £40 while the Granit still looks like £70. If it works, it seems like a lighter alternative to a D-lock, but it looks like you pay for that convenience at the moment.

Just as an extra alert/deterrent for leaving bikes near cafes, small shops and so on (probably no-one would hear it in the locked compound), I tried to get an alarmed padlock but the shop I tried was out of stock and not getting more. I expect I'll find one somewhere or mail order. As long as I can minimise false alarms, it should give me enough time to catch anyone trying to ride off because I often sabotage my bike as I park it, leaving gear levers set to throw the chain, unhooking brakes or hooking a bungee to a spoke. :evil: I always do a quick check before setting off because you never know what someone else might have fiddled with while it was parked! ;-)

The only other new development seems to be trackers which cost as much as some of my bikes :lol: Even so, I'd prefer it if they weren't nicked. Most of them have things like saddles, pedals and lights which I've taken a while to choose (and often some failed purchases, often discussed on these forums - thanks everyone :-) ) and it's often an annoyingly long walk, expensive taxi or possibly slow bus ride home! :-)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

cant you store it at work some where? get friendly with the building management?
cycloret

Post by cycloret »

Has anyone any experience of using an Siren alarm padlock in addition to a normal cycle lock? Whilst it is possible to cover the holes where the sound comes out, someone would need to be an octopus to continue working to steal your bike.

I bought one of these at a motorcarvan show a while back but have less need of a bike lock since I retired. Similar ones appear to be available on eBay but at the show the salesman implied that other alarm locks weren't of the same quality as his. He would say that wouldn't he!
http://www.pureessencerobertas.co.uk/index.html
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

james01 wrote:If it's necessary to carry all this hardware it's arguable that a cheap 2nd hand bike is the better option in high-risk areas. If the worst happens then at least you don't suffer the upset and devastation of losing an expensive machine, you just go and buy another £30 hack from Gumtree.

Or the same £30 hack ;)

What is it they say about all bikes weighing the same, once you carry the required lock....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

This is interesting - locks supposed to resist an attack for 5 minutes actually take seconds to break.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/sites/default/fil ... 803042.pdf
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
QUIST

Post by QUIST »

hAS ANYONE USED THE DUTCH STYLE CIRCULAR LOCKS as part of a security system - the ones which have the key left in the lock when unlocked?

Also I also liberally cope all of the lock with vaseline or Neatsfoot oil so croppers slip
pete75

Post by pete75 »

QUIST wrote:hAS ANYONE USED THE DUTCH STYLE CIRCULAR LOCKS as part of a security system - the ones which have the key left in the lock when unlocked?

Also I also liberally cope all of the lock with vaseline or Neatsfoot oil so croppers slip

It's probably not beyond the wits of a pro bike thief to use a bit of rag to deal with this if it does actually make the croppers slip.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
QUIST

Post by QUIST »

a pro is going to make a good job of anything =-I'm also jhoping that miscreant will try another unlubed lock and god forbid that they injure themselves during the process
IanW

Post by IanW »

QUIST wrote:hAS ANYONE USED THE DUTCH STYLE CIRCULAR LOCKS as part of a security system - the ones which have the key left in the lock when unlocked?

Yes I use such a lock as part of an overall bicycle security strategy which includes:

1) *Always* locking Dutch ring (a.k.a. horseshoe) lock
I have no choice as the keys to the other locks and the Pitlock "key" are all attached to same keyring and the ring lock key is captive when unlocked
(So I never fail to take the bike keys with me)

2) *Always* locking front wheel + frame with a good U-lock to something solid and immovable

3) If I am going to leave the bicycle in a regular location I have a 14mm hardened square-cross-section link chain
to lock both the U-lock and ring lock to that gets left locked in-situ so I don't have to lug it around.

4) If I am leaving the bike elsewhere for more than 1/2 hour or anywhere at night I also take a 10mm hardened square-cross-section link chain that gets both ends locked in with the ring-lock with chain also round the frame and someting immoveable.

5) Wheels skewers and steerer top cap are secured using Pitlocks.

6) Frame + forks + both hubs (Rohloff and SON) are Datatagged.

7) Most components on the bike are also Datadotted.

8) Almost all hex-headed bolts have been replaced with hex-pin security bolts.

9) Saddle + rack + saddlebag are locked to the frame with a short 8mm cable lock.

And I am considering a GPS tracker but only if it is *not* trivially removeable.

The reason for all this "paranoia" (and the Dutch lock) is that I was born and brought up in London, cycled to and from school every day and have some Dutch relatives with whom I have cycled in the Netherlands.

And, touch wood, I have yet to have a bike stolen in 40 years