rear hub bearing replacement ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bikerwaser

rear hub bearing replacement ?

Post by bikerwaser »

Hi All

I've just gone to clean and grease up the bearings on the rear m590 deore hub and it seems that on the drive side cone there is some pitting. i can't see anything on the cup but that maybe cos it was hidden from view as i didn't want to remove the seal for fear of damage.
what i'd like to know is , is it worth getting a new set of cones and bearings ? or once the cones have pitting is it on it's way out and too late ?

many thanks

Bikerwaser
Erudin

Re: rear hub bearing replacement ?

Post by Erudin »

With the price of Shimano Deore FH-M590 Rear Hub Axle Assembly being £13 I'd buy a new hub off ebay for £16.50 (£28 from UK) and use the cones from it and keep the rest as spares, or replace the whole hub if needed.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if it is pitting at a relatively low mileage then there are two common causes for this;

1) bad adjustment (there should be a little free play that just disappears when the QR is tightened).

2) water ingress.

So unless it is catastrophic damage already, I'd be inclined to throw it back together with some new balls, decent grease and good adjustment and see how you get on.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

thanks!
didn't want to get new hub as that would mean building up the wheel again so have decided to go for new bearings and cones.

cheers !
wilmer000

Post by wilmer000 »

Buy the new hub, strip out the bearings/cones/axle and put them in the old hub. If your cups look fine, don't worry about them. Cost minimal.