Dear LED light manufacturers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
karlt

Dear LED light manufacturers

Post by karlt »

If you use an electronic switch rather than a physical make/break switch, as you mostly do, would you kindly design it to remember whether it was on or off in the event of a brief loss of power from the batteries as may happen going over a bump.

That way I won't have to keep checking that my front light is still working. And I won't break one by constantly fiddling with the springs in the battery compartment so that they don't lose contact on every speed bump, as happened last night at Dronfield leaving me stranded four miles from home.

KTHNXBAI.
Brucey

Re: Dear LED light manufacturers

Post by Brucey »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It's actually not that hard to do...

Take the simplest electronic switch (apologies for the voice)
[youtube]Foc9R0dC2iI[/youtube]

With an appropriate capacitor (fairly late in the video) it is possible to make it take a long press to power off. If power is removed then a similar capacitor should be able to power the latching transistor for the duration of a bump...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Or a reed switch such as on the SON headlights.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Not a problem I have had with my Exposure lights but then they are all sealed in rechargeable batteries so nothing to shake loose. That said, I occasionally have the opposite problem in trying to turn them off sometimes as it seems to think I am just wanting to change the power level. Still, none of them have let me down yet.
keithb

Post by keithb »

My £15 set of Smart lights don't turn off over bumps, in fact I cannot remember a light that did..

Though I have been a convert to Smart lights for years, simply because they all share the same front/rear brackets, and come with seat post and chainstay mounts for the rears...
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

karlt wrote:If you use an electronic switch rather than a physical make/break switch, as you mostly do, would you kindly design it to remember whether it was on or off in the event of a brief loss of power from the batteries as may happen going over a bump.

That way I won't have to keep checking that my front light is still working. And I won't break one by constantly fiddling with the springs in the battery compartment so that they don't lose contact on every speed bump, as happened last night at Dronfield leaving me stranded four miles from home.

KTHNXBAI.
It's not the front light you need to worry about, but the rear one. You can see whether front one is on or off by whether or not it's shining on the road or objects in front. But maybe your street lights are brighter than your front light?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I can see my rear by turning my head, or on the upwrong by looking between my legs (the main light is a little over axle height)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.