Removing Dawes oval head badge prior to powder coating

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
horizon

Removing Dawes oval head badge prior to powder coating

Post by horizon »

This is the last job prior to powder coating as the frame is now completly stripped down including the BB and headset. Has anyone removed an old style (1980s/1990s) Dawes oval head badge? I don't want to save the badge but I'm just touting around for any useful information on what I might find (e.g. that it's impossible to remove or that it leaves two little holes in the headtube (I cannot see any pins, screws or rivets) or whatever ... :?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
kylecycler

Re: Removing Dawes oval head badge prior to powder coating

Post by kylecycler »

If it's stuck on with adhesive and not with pins, screws or rivets, you should be able to remove it by 'sawing' between the head badge and the head tube with either fishing line or, perhaps better, thin wire, as towards the end of this video (removing the windscreen of a Porsche 917, but same principle)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IhJVWq ... 1E&index=8

(The rest of the video is irrelevant to this, or to cycling, but it's entertaining - the toilets behind the old pits at Le Mans... and, oh, the wiring! You shouldn't be quite so cavalier about asbestos, though! :o )

I've removed a head badge with a roll of plastic-coated plant tie because I didn't have any thin wire as such. The plastic coating came off the tie as I sawed through the adhesive, but it removed the badge - proved to be ideal - didn't even hurt my fingers! You should be able to save the badge that way too. They'll blast it with media before they powder coat it, so that should remove any left-over adhesive as well as the paint, but you could clean it up yourself with abrasive if you like.

This might help too, though, if there's anything you haven't considered. Haven't gone there myself yet, but intend to...

http://sheldonbrown.com/paint-prep.html
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

You could try dental floss to cut it off! Very effective in this sort of application, and unlikely to cause damage.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Thanks very much for the replies. I expect I would have just hacked away with a screw driver so this has given me a whole new approach.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Some good tips. On a similar theme what adhesive would you use to replace a headtube badge after renovation?
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Heating it with a hairdryer may help to soften the adhesive before you apply the floss.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
what adhesive would you use to replace a headtube badge after renovation

Get some advice at your local car body repairer. A blob of something from the Teroson range would probably do it
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
horizon

Post by horizon »

fastpedaller wrote:You could try dental floss to cut it off! Very effective in this sort of application, and unlikely to cause damage.

Great! Worked well - 30 second job. Badge removed undamaged. Many thanks for the tip!
robgul

Post by robgul »

... and to refit said badges I have a) used the double-sided stuff they fix car mirrors to windscreens OR b) a hot glue gun and small spot of glue - TIP - when you refit the badge clamp it on the headtube while it sets with a cable tie (place a bit of wood against the head tube behind the badge and pull the tie tight on that to get the curvature on the badge but not damage the paintwork)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
horizon

Post by horizon »

Thanks robgul. I hadn't intended to put the badge back on but now it''s come off so well I might give it a try.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I have an old Dawes (70's) and the head badge now sports a couple of holes in it, and is reattached with a couple of tiny countersunk screws. This was done with a view to yet further resprays. It has been so long now that I forget how the badge was originally removed!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~