Hub dynamos

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fatboy

Hub dynamos

Post by fatboy »

My 3n80 has gone noisy and whilst trying to fix it I've snapped the wire! It also looks to me as if some of the windings have come loose.

Anyhow I need a new one and I want to build it into my wheel. So to that end I want one that can use the same spokes. Options include 3n31, 3n72, DH-T670-3N and 3n80. Looking online spoke calculators I get a lot of conflicting information. Anyone have any measurement data (diameter/flange offset etc) and/or views on which to replace with!

Cheers

Chris
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Brucey

Re: Hub dynamos

Post by Brucey »

if the wheel is otherwise OK and the LH bearing looks OK too, I'd suggest that it might be a reasonable idea to simply fit a new internal to the extant wheel. If you buy a new 3N80 you can whip the centre out (they are not too tight when new) and install it into your wheel.

hth

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Found this page

http://productinfo.shimano.com/specifications.html which shows that 3n72, 3n80 and LX hubs are the same dimensions but not the 3n31. I've ordered the LX one for £55 from Germany.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Brucey wrote:if the wheel is otherwise OK and the LH bearing looks OK too, I'd suggest that it might be a reasonable idea to simply fit a new internal to the extant wheel. If you buy a new 3N80 you can whip the centre out (they are not too tight when new) and install it into your wheel.

hth

cheers

Haven't got a good enough spanner for this. Tried this in the past (following internet instructions about servicing hub) and think my failure is why I'm in this mess now!