Cycle Computer

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
AaronR

Cycle Computer

Post by AaronR »

Argh.

Currently using a Cateye Micro Wireless http://www.cateye.com/intl/products/det ... 100W/which apart from the backlight function giving up on anything less than fresh out the packet batteries has been great until I changed my route to work, and now thanks to one of the sets of traffic lights I go through I now get max speed readings of 95mph and the odometer readings go through the roof as a result

I would like a computer that offers trip mileage, odometer, average speed and ideally a clock - any recommendations? I like wireless, but if I have to sacrifice that to avoid interference causing false readings I will

I'd considered a GPS computer, but it must be capable of retaining odometer totals when the battery is exhausted/being charged, and with a JOGLE ride on the cards for next year capable of running for days without being charged - I've got a small USB battery pack and a solar charger, but don't want to carry loads of extras just to run a cycle computer!
Psamathe

Re: Cycle Computer

Post by Psamathe »

I've been through several different wireless ones, including a digital one (supposedly not subject to interference). And they all suffered from sensor/computer communications issues that made they useless.

So I'm back on a cabled one. It works. No weird speeds. No "phantom miles". I like the one I've got but I'm sure that others like the ones they have for different reasons.

I use a Specialized Speedzone Sport thingy. I like it because:
a. Speed is in large digits
b. Very clear above/below av. speed
c. Trip distance shown to 2 decimal places.
d. Clear display (i.e. current speed and one other figure)

But the main point is cabled ones work.

Ian
Mark1978

Re: Cycle Computer

Post by Mark1978 »

I too use a cateye micro wireless and I've never noticed any issues with traffic lights. The only thing I have noticed is when I have my headlight fitted and in flashing mode it gives a constant 12mph.

Cateye still do wired computers so perhaps you can check those out.