Sugino crankset replacement

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
clwdk

Sugino crankset replacement

Post by clwdk »

Hey,

I'm in the process of fixing up an old Centurion Oxygen bike and need to replace the Sugino 3 ring crankset (46/36/28 ) thats currently on it.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a suitable replacement, preferably one that won't involve me having to get a second mortgage :)

Thanks in advance!
reohn2

Re: Sugino crankset replacement

Post by reohn2 »

Spa cycles TD2 and XD2 chainsets are good quality and value:- http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s109p0
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
clwdk

Post by clwdk »

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I'm not that knowledgable about this stuff but I'm guessing I need to get one with the same amount of teeth on each ring as the old one right?

Looking at the link you posted there isn't one that matches mine. Most of the ones I've looked at have a similar pattern, with the middle ring being 10 teeth bigger than the smallest one ( ie. 38/28 or 36/26). Did I count mine wrong maybe?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

clwdk wrote:Thanks for the speedy reply.
I'm not that knowledgeable about this stuff but I'm guessing I need to get one with the same amount of teeth on each ring as the old one right?

Going up or down by a couple of teeth usually isn't a problem.
You would just need to lift the front derailleur up a fraction to accept the extra 2 teeth.
What sometimes is important is the number of teeth difference between the large and middle ring.
As both your existing one and the Spa are 10T difference then that should be O.K.

Another option is to just replace the worn ring(s) but it sometimes works out more expensive.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

If you currently have 46/36/28, replacing it with 46/36/26 will mean no other change is required.
If you change to 48/38/28, you will have to move the front mech up the seat tube by 4 mm or so, reclamp the gear cable and fiddle with the cable tension to get the shifting right.
clwdk

Post by clwdk »

Thanks again. I opted for a 46/36/26. Looking forward to getting it mounted!