Alternative to Schwalbe CX Comp?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
A1anP

Alternative to Schwalbe CX Comp?

Post by A1anP »

With the autumnal / wintry weather now upon us, I've been dusting off my hybrid (Specialized Crosstrail 2012). The rims were worn out so I decided to make the switch to discs and bought a set of disc wheels from Planet X. I thought I'd get a bit more wear out of my tyres, Schwalbe CX Comp 38s, so I kept them although the rear is looking well worn.

But on the third time out, I had a visit from the fairy (in the rear), and then had great trouble getting the tyre to stay on the rim while inflating after swapping for a fresh tube. It took 4 goes to get the tyre pumped up without it coming loose and the tube threatening to pop out. If I'd had a CO2 inflator, I'd have had a bunch of useless tubes and ringing ears (and a long walk home).

It might just be that the new rims and these tyres don't get on very well, so I'm looking for something similar to the CX Comps as an alternative. The tyres that came with the bike were Specialized Borough XC Sport 45s. These seemed pretty good and if anything rolled a bit better than the CX Comps but are now discontinued and had a reputation as being fairy magnets.

So basically, I'm looking for a new set of tyres that roll pretty well on the road, can cope well off road and don't cost too much. On the balance between weight and p*ncture protection, I'm usually in favour of the former. I don't mind changing the odd tube at the roadside, as long as the tyre plays ball and sits on the rim like its supposed to!

Thanks for looking :D
Alan

EDIT: Just for the record, here's a previous thread on this type of tyre having a tendency to come off the rim...

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=69261

I think my best way forward might be to use Specialized Trigger Sport tyres, that the Crosstrail is now supplied with. But if anyone out there can recommend any other decent semi-slick tyres, I'd be very grateful :D
Going upwards at 45 degrees...