Shifters + Arthritis

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mill4six

Shifters + Arthritis

Post by mill4six »

I am sorry to say that at the tender age of 44 I'm already experiencing arthritic hand pain :( I'm otherwise fit and well and can still swim bike and run as much as I please. Until, that is I get out the MTB. Last time I used it in anger my thumbs were sore for weeks, using Shimano trigger shifters with thumbs to change to a bigger cog quickly upset the trapezoidal joints. I'm in the market for a new MTB to tackle some winter duathlons and wondered if anyone has any ideas for pain free indexed shifting. (I hate twist grips, they make my wrists hurt) Anyone else suffer like me? How do you manage? Thankfully road shifters are still ok.
RickH

Re: Shifters + Arthritis

Post by RickH »

mill4six wrote:...any ideas for pain free indexed shifting.

At a price, there is always XTR di2!

Alternatively, get a SRAM geared bike & use drops & doubletap shifters (SRAM road & MTB systems have, at the moment at least, compatible cable pull).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I have the same problem and have had to abandon my MB.I was given a 1980's MB with bull horn bars which I cut down but this bike has bar mounted friction levers which I can use with the butt of my hand. Has turned into a good touring bike but can also be used off road so long as you do not want sprung suspension.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I can't help with the shifters but if you're suffering from Osteo Arthritis cutting out red meat and cutting out/down on sugar intake will definitely ease the pain.
Also keeping the hands warm helps too.
I take Glucosamine Sulfate which also helps.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

A 1 x11 mtb system will cut out the front shifter if that helps. It was my experience used to be that sram had a lighter shift than sram, but my wife has a new Shimano equipped mtb and the shifters are very light to use, with thumb or finger activation.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
gaz

Post by gaz »

mill4six wrote:I am sorry to say that at the tender age of 44 I'm already experiencing arthritic hand pain :(

If this is self-diagnosed see your GP to confirm it is arthritis. I'm your age and I get some pain in my left wrist and thumb but I think it's more likely to be De Quervain syndrome than arthritis*.

Paul Thumbies allow conventional bar-end shifters to be mounted as thumb shifters, I don't know if that will be any easier on your joints than rapidfire.

Suntour Ergo-Tec is the only other shifting method I can think of but they were only ever manufactured in 1994 and may very well be incompatible with any mechs currently available.

*I'm aware that I should follow my own advice and go to my GP to confirm so feel free to ignore me :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

As a practical solution have you tried putting extra padding/wrapping around the thumb thus in effect shortening the movement to make the shift. You could also wrap the shifter paddle itself, certainly ensuring the shifter position on the bar is slightly more upwards can help too.
Aside from that, getter better cables so there's less resistance on the shift and a better rear derailleur and shifter might help a little too.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

for use with derailleurs, I have never got on with gripshifts. Horrid things.

But.... perhaps controversially, might I suggest that you could shift gears less often, and when you do shift, it could be made easier?

On my town bike I presently have an SA 3 speed and it is shifted using a Sachs twistgrip. Much to my surprise this arrangement gives exceptionally light and rapid shifting. It has occurred to me that this arrangement would actually work OK on an MTB too, perhaps as part of a dual drive system?

If (say) a singlespeed MTB isn't quite the thing for you another way of cutting down on shifts might be to use a kickback or auto-shifting 2s hub. If you use a version with a coaster brake you will only have to steer and use the front brake using your hands.

If you combine a 2s hub with (say) two chainrings and two sprockets, you can have an 8s drive which can be worked using two (long, simple) friction shifter levers, eg stem mounted ones. These can be worked using the palm of your hand if they are positioned accordingly.

hth

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mjr

Post by mjr »

mill4six wrote:using Shimano trigger shifters with thumbs to change to a bigger cog quickly upset the trapezoidal joints

Could you try indexed thumb shifters? Despite the name, they can be moved with other bits of the hand.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

I converted my old mtb to drop bars with bar-end shifters and find it very easy to shift. I use compact drop bars but there are wider off-road drop bars available as well.

http://salsacycles.com/culture/my_woodchipper_set_up
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Shimano did a system a while back where you push down on the gear leaver to shift in one direction and a light thumb lever to shift in the other. I've got a Deore set somewhere for vees and they fatigued me far less than the normal thumb shifters. I think there was some XT ones too. I don't know if they did them for discs. The idea didn't last long and the exact name (DCI?) fails me. They never really caught on but in your instance they might work if you can find a set on ebay or somewhere.

Edit: think these were the things: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod16941

or like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Deore ... 51badbc075
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have the same problem. I'm not 100% convinced that it is only arthritis, but the GP saw me a couple of times with it & sent me for x-rays, and that was her conclusion.

The thing that made the biggest difference to me was front suspension.

Without front suspension, I was in pain after 30 miles off road. With front suspension, I managed okay up to 50 miles off road (same track).

I don't notice much differnce in holding the handle bars or control of the bike, but braking and shifting are much more comfortable. The force required to operate the shifters can make a difference, as well, but for me, it was a matter of degree, and it is the motion required to shift that is painful.

I have gotten some advice from a (private) physio, which helps on a day to day basis.

I am also interested in seeing what else others recommend....
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

or like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Deore ... 51badbc075
These look really good! A bit pricey but the bike I'm looking at is £100 off at the moment :D Thankyou! Any more ideas?
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Whilst not having arthrisis or other known thumb problems, I have found in hilly areas that with Shimano rapid fire levers, my thumbs sometimes ache from pushing the lower lever. I solved this for down shifting (pushing the RH lower lever) by turning my hand upside down, and pushing the lever with the palm of my hand (wrist end rather than finger end), sometimes with my curling my fingers wrapped round the body (not lever) of the brake lever. This doesn't use the thumb at all.
Also worked for my partner who sometimes get RSI on her wrists.
If it works, zero cost, but removes the excuse for new boys toys!