10 speed Campag shifters

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tatanab

Re: 10 speed Campag shifters

Post by tatanab »

Mick F wrote:I had to retire my Campag Chorus rear mech last year after just over 20,000miles. The problem was the top pivot had worn and the whole mech was pulled in by the cable rather than all the pull going into the parallelogram. I could possibly have got hold of a new pivot bolt, but it was the housing that seemed to have worn, not the bolt.

I too retired a Campag mech last year, an 8 speed Racing Triple which I've certainly had in use almost 20 years and probably more than 60,000 miles. I'd put up with sketchy gear changes for about 5 years but when the chance of an unused replacement came along I snapped it up. What a revelation, back to click click smooth and quick changes. I think the reason I coped was because on that machine I have indexed down tube levers so could compensate somewhat. With this in mind (worn mech versus new) I was going to post the experience earlier, just did not get around to it.

MickF, I have another machine with 10speed Ultrashift Centaur levers from 2010 (when they had sorted out problems) working a Comp Triple mech which is very nice indeed. Just to tease you, I have a new Comp Triple mech in the sideboard, just in case I need it one day.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: 10 speed Campag shifters

Post by Mick F »

Thanks! :D
I trawled the internet looking for a Comp Triple mech and I found one ........... and one only.
I snapped it up, and have looked since, and can't find any at all.
Other Campag 10sp long cage mechs are there and available, but the Comp is/was Record quality and isn't available any more.
I think I could find Chorus, but they are mega expensive.

I still have the Chorus mech, and sometimes think of seeing if it can be fixed. Maybe turn a new bolt on a lathe a tiny bit thicker than the original. It wouldn't have to be Allen headed, it could have a hex nut. Nowt else wrong with the mech. It's just the play/sloppiness of the top bolt assembly.

I bought it cheap on offer, so I've had my money's worth.
Mick F. Cornwall