Born free...how long does a chain last?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
birkhead

Born free...how long does a chain last?

Post by birkhead »

Man is born free...but everywhere he is in chains.
How come JJR so accurately depicts my utility room :D ?
Over the last 3.5 years, since my detailed records started, I have had the following chain experience, using Campag Veloce 10sp:
A 4218km
B 5597km
C 3474km
D 5251km
E 3111km
F 4780km
G 3743km {Sram]
H 3550km
Average = 4216km = 2635mi

I have not looked exhaustively at the data, but the CampyVeloce comes out quite well from the Wippermann test:
http://www.cantitoeroad.com/assets/imag ... N-2010.pdf
or see http://www.cantitoeroad.com/

I am sure that some of my variance derives from a rudimentary approach to the 'transition', which occurs somewhere soon after the 0.75% moment,
but depends on what is happening to me and my bike and what opportunity I have to change the chain.

I use the MickF method, tho operations are carried out to fiddle or box music, and try to keep a clean chain with WLCleanride applied about every 150km, more frequently on the relatively rare occasions when I cycle in the wet, and WLEpic if I am foreseeably out in the wet. Chains are given a wipe every ride and a thorough clean every c.1500km

It still seems a long way from the 6k miles deemed feasible on a good chain.
foxyrider

Re: Born free...how long does a chain last?

Post by foxyrider »

my Record/KMC chains are changed @ 3000km on the tourer and closer to 5000km on the carbon beastie whether they need it or not - mostly they'd go at least half as much again. There again my cables get changed at similar or shorter intervals as well!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Single speed or hub gears with a full chain case then pretty much indefinitely...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Shimano CN-4601 1300 miles (mucky country lanes over winter)
SRAM (two) still going with around 2000 miles and still OK (cleaner summer roads)

(All 10 speed)

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 22 Oct 2014, 6:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No records for any chain until I went to 10sp Campag.
I have five of them and A, B and C are in retirement. E has just come off, and D is now the incumbent.

Mileages so far:
A = 6,390 miles
B = 5,451 miles
C = 4,693 miles
D = 2,183 miles
E = 2,809 miles

None of these chains are stretched longer than 1/8th inch or so measured right the way along my 39 inch rule. Obviously D and E are way below that.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Single speed or hub gears with a full chain case then pretty much indefinitely...

Nah, the sprocket wears smooth eventually. I have heard tales of such things, but never seen it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

foxyrider wrote:changed ...... whether they need it or not - mostly they'd go at least half as much again.

Why when as you say they're only two thirds of the way through their life?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mjr wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Single speed or hub gears with a full chain case then pretty much indefinitely...

Nah, the sprocket wears smooth eventually. I have heard tales of such things, but never seen it.

We have reports on this form of 70+ thousand miles. Eventually and pretty much indefinitely aren't completely incompatible.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

birkhead wrote:Over the last 3.5 years, since my detailed records started, I have had the following chain experience, using Campag Veloce 10sp:
A 4218km
B 5597km
C 3474km
D 5251km
E 3111km
F 4780km
G 3743km {Sram]
H 3550km

From which I deduce that you did approx 10,000 km a year, and that chains A,C and E were used mainly in the winter, and chains B, D and F were summer chains. Did you subesquently get out of step with the seasons?
rjb

Post by rjb »

On our Tandem which is notoriously hard on transmission i used to get 5000 miles out of my chain. I have records going back for 110,000 miles. Maintenance regime was minimal. I would remove the chain after 2500 miles use the shake in a bottle method to clean and then i would replace the opposite way around. 2 chains would last as long as the freewheel (6 speed).
Chainset would get changed at 30,000 miles. The tandem was a 6 speed set up and i used cheap sedis pc48 chains or equivalent. out of interest i picked up a bso bike from a skip which had an old bushed chain and i used this on one occasion. It showed no discernible wear in comparison to bushless chains after 10,000 miles. :D
I am always surprised how quickly chains stretch the more gears you have. One reason why i have no interest in going beyond 8 speed. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I've had chains on my summer bike last for 6000 miles ( 2 summers of riding), but I rarely get more than 3-4,000 out of chain on my winter bike. Riding in salty, wet conditions takes it's toll on the whole transmission, especially the chain
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
brucelee

Post by brucelee »

Wow, you're all doing better than me - my last chain lasted 1500km before it reached the 0.5% stretch mark. I know this has been asked before but does a worn cassette wear a new chain ? My last one had just past the 0.75 point when I changed it, the the new one worked fine. The next chain though - as I said - only lasted 1500km. This is in mixed weather, not particularly wet (I try to keep this bike for the dry) and using Finsh line dry to lube after wiping with a dry cloth.
Cheers,
Bruce.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I usually get 4 to 4.5k miles out solo chains and three chains until the cassette needs changing,8sp cassette,using 9sp Sram 971 chains.
Tandem drive chains I count myself lucky if we get 3k but it's usually around 2.5k miles again three chains to a cassette,same chains on 9sp cassettes,we can easily get 10k out timing chains
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
jb

Post by jb »

In my experience the larger the chain rings being used the longer the chain lasts for set ups with similar gear ratios as obviously the larger ring puts less force on the links.
My Dawes Galaxy running a 36 chain ring through a hub gear will chomp through a chain in six months & less than 2000 miles. Where as dérailleur a bike utalising a 50 34 (for approx. the same ratios) will get up to 4000 miles before the chain gauge shows its over 1% worn.

Chain riding conditions and cleaning regimes are notoriously difficult to compare but this is some thing that does seem to make a big difference.
Cheers
J Bro