SONdelux build

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jimmer

SONdelux build

Post by Jimmer »

Hi

I'm about to build up a SONdelux 32 hole to an Ambrosio Excellence rim. I was thinking to build 2 cross and have calculated spoke length to be 282,76mm.
Does anyone have opinions on this, namely:
- Is 2x OK or would a 3x be better?
- Is rounding down on the spoke length to a 282 acceptable? Next length in Sapim race is 284.
Thanks
J
phil parker

Re: SONdelux build

Post by phil parker »

Why 2x?

I have built a few wheels with a Son Deluxe and gone for 3x, I think it would make a better wheel. Ok, I just go by the old maxim of 3x for 32 & 36-spoke wheels and 2x for 24 & 28-spoke wheels.

If you're happy that your calculation is correct then going down to 282 is fine - I personally prefer to go upwards as it makes it easier to lace the wheel and I've never 'threaded out'. I have once or twice gone slightly too short and not been happy about the number of threads used and gone for 14 mm nipples.
Jimmer

Post by Jimmer »

Thanks Phil

I have 3x on my 'dead' SON original and some of the angles at the rim don't look great to me. That said of course, the flange diameter on the delux is smaller so that will be less of an issue I guess.

Pretty sure the calcs are right - I did them 'by hand' and also checked DT and spocalc to make sure. Good to know the spoke length is not super-critical though - this is my first build from new (just did rim transplants until now!)

Thanks again
Jamie
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

If you aren't using disc brakes, 2x is fine, and probably better than 3x because of a squarer spoke/rim angle.
If you do use discs, there is torque to transmit and 3x will be better.

Yes, round the spoke length down
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Jimmer ..........
Can I ask a question regarding your rim choice?

Why Ambrosio Excellence?

I ask because they look absolutely fabulous.
They are expensive, and I wondered if they are worth the money. If so, I'm sorely tempted. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Jimmer

Post by Jimmer »

Re. Ambrosio Excellence - because I have a very lightly used rim that I will use for this build!

But I am impressed with them. I used to use Open Pro rims but wasn't happy with how quickly they wore out. The Excellence seems just as nicely finished but the brake track seems to me much more durable. I have no idea whether that little balance weight around the valve hole makes any real difference!

Worth the extra £ over the Open Pro for sure.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks.
Sorry to drag you slightly off topic, but the Excellence is a lovely rim.

I would round the spoke length up.
Any excess spoke is lost within the nipple and as you will be using rims with deep eyelets, any spoke poking through will be under the tape.

I built a wheel once and rounded the length down. It annoyed me greatly that I could see a thread or two outside the nipple.
Mick F. Cornwall