Freehub body protection

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
student

Freehub body protection

Post by student »

One friend of mine uses steel plates placed between the cassette cogs and the alloy freehub body on shimano splined freehubs in cases when he wants to mount cassette which is on not alloy carriers.

My question: can it be done for campag also? I have a 9-10spd campag wheelset, and planning to buy another one. Yet, one of my bikes still runs on 8spd campag (and I have a brand new cassette, not yet fitted, so I1d like to run that as well. ) IT'd be nice to somedays swap the 8spd old wheelset for a new one, and I've just spotted this:

that there seems to be enough place to get some plates between the cogs and freehub body. Can a few steel plate protect the splines of the alloy freehub sufficiently enough from the steel cogs?

thanks in advance. My largest cog is 23t at the rear btw.
I'm located outside the UK. Never been there, not even considering getting a work there once I have my degree. :)
Brucey

Re: Freehub body protection

Post by Brucey »

if you grind the other side of each spline on the sprockets, you can make more room for a thicker steel shim. But anything, even a thin shim can help to prevent movement between the surfaces or help to spread the load and this will reduce wear.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~