Chain skipping links

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
zlffc

Chain skipping links

Post by zlffc »

Hi everyone,

I recently installed a new chain on my bike and on my small chain ring it keeps skipping links if i pedal too hard. I'm wondering if my chain is too short or could it be another reason like it's just brand new?

The small chain is 34t, rear cassette is 8 speed and I fitted it with a KMC Z8S with 116 links. I didn't remove any links at all.

Also when I'm pedalling on the larger ring i get quite an enhanced noise from the chain. I've got mudguards which I've taken off to see if it was that but it's now definitely coming from the chain and contact with the cassette.

Thanks for your responses!
Brucey

Re: Chain skipping links

Post by Brucey »

the chances are excellent that your small chainring (and probably your cassette too) is slightly hooked or otherwise worn. If the wear is is not too severe the noise from the chainring will lessen over time.

However if the chain is skipping at the back (and you can't easily tell if it is back or front BTW) then it may carry on doing it for a very long time.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

zlffc wrote:another reason like it's just brand new?

Is the correct answer.

As a chain is use, it gets longer due to wear at the pins (aka "stretch"), and the cassette and chainring wear to match. A new chain doesn't match the cassette that's worn to match the old chain, and so you get the chain skipping links. (It's usually on the cassette).
It probably means a new cassette, though if it's not too bad you may be able to just ride carefully until the new chain has worn to match the cassette.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
+1 above, just make sure that you haven't introduced a stiff link into the transmission, although the effect tends to be less regular
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

In all probability your chain is too long! Put the chain on to the largest chain ring and largest sprocket: then check how many extra links when the chain is pulled taut. For a double chain ring, you should only have two extra links, or four for a triple. Not many bicycles have a long enough chain stay to warrant the full 116 links of a new chain.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

KMC chains have a generous 116 links (half links depending on how you define a link). Other makes often have only 114. Even then 112 is often enough. How many links did your old chain have? Hang the two side by side to compare, and if necessary remove links (as pairs) as necessary. Otherwise work out the required number see http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain and for more info on wear http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html. If the chain is too long the rear derailleur might not work properly especially on the small chain ring.

Edited to correct
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
zlffc

Post by zlffc »

It turns out my chain was too long and also when I'd put it on, I failed to notice I had not slotted it through the top sprocket guide so that's what was making the noise :roll: Silly really ha

It's fixed now and the silence is sweet. Thanks for the help guys.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Glad it's sorted. Shimano rear derailleurs are a bit of a fiddle compared with the old Suntour ARX.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.