SRAM for Trouring

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
keithb

SRAM for Trouring

Post by keithb »

I was just wondering, with all the Campag/Shimano merging threads, is anyone has considered using SRAM for touring on?

As their 10speed MTB and Road equipment appears to be cross compatible (One of the Salsa's comes with an MTB drivetrain, and road double-tap sifters) it seems a sensible choice to make.

Given the different cable pull SRAM use (nearer 1:1 than 2:1) they are less finicky to set-up (on MTBs at least), and that you can use MTB cranks/cassettes to get low gears, and that you can use their TT bar end shifters if you want seperate brake/shift levers, I'm surprised they're not all over touring bikes.

I suppose the lack of a triple in the range may be a barrier, but a 39t or 42t big ring on a double gives you almost all the gears you need at the top end for touring?

Any thoughts or experiences?
recordacefromnew

Re: SRAM for Trouring

Post by recordacefromnew »

I think when sram decided not to cater for road triple, they kissed tourers with brifters goodbye. Of course one can mix and match, but since their rear shifter can only work with their rd and vice versa, one would have no choice but to use a different front shifter (yuck!) if one wants a triple.

With a low of 28", I also don't think many here will consider their WIFLI very W at all. I do appreciate it is possible to use a suitable fd with a double chainset with smallish rings to achieve lower gears.

They make fine cassettes though.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

recordacefromnew wrote:....They make fine cassettes though.

The ones I've had(only a couple granted) I've thought inferior to Shimano.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

recordacefromnew wrote:I think when sram decided not to cater for road triple, they kissed tourers with brifters goodbye. Of course one can mix and match, but since their rear shifter can only work with their rd and vice versa, one would have no choice but to use a different front shifter (yuck!) if one wants a triple.

With a low of 28", I also don't think many here will consider their WIFLI very W at all. I do appreciate it is possible to use a suitable fd with a double chainset with smallish rings to achieve lower gears........................................................

I don't think so. WiFLi is only one option. Using current SRAM components (mixing Road, MTB and CX as desired) you can readily create a 10 or 11 speed double or single transmission that will have the range and number of useful ratios as a 9 speed triple. If I was building a new touring bike I'd be tempted to use a SRAM 10 speed double with a (TA, Middleburn, Sugino or Stronglight) 46/30 chainset and a 12-36 cassette.
birkhead

Post by birkhead »

I use Sram Rival for lightweight touring.
I have a Spa audax-ti with Rival groupset and a medium length rear changer.
IIRC the chainrings are 50-34 and the block is 12-32.
I find this quite adequate for my requirements, tho the range could be extended as suggested above.
The simplicity of two chain rings I find attractive.
recordacefromnew

MartinC wrote:I don't think so. WiFLi is only one option. Using current SRAM components (mixing Road, MTB and CX as desired) you can readily create a 10 or 11 speed double or single transmission that will have the range and number of useful ratios as a 9 speed triple. If I was building a new touring bike I'd be tempted to use a SRAM 10 speed double with a (TA, Middleburn, Sugino or Stronglight) 46/30 chainset and a 12-36 cassette.

Can you explain how can a 46/30 - 12/36 can possibly have the same range given a typical Shimano or Shimergo triple has a wider range front end while the back end is the same? Also how can they have the same useful ratios especially given a 9 speed Shimano mtb rd works fine with 10 sprockets at the back?

Don't get me wrong, I quite like the simplicity of Nx1 myself, but I appreciate why triple is popular on tourers too.
recordacefromnew

reohn2 wrote:

Really? As a matter of interest which compared with which?
hamish

Post by hamish »

The SRAM double mountain bike chainsets (with the standard swapped for larger chain rings) would surely make a reasonable touring double if you were looking for one?
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

I've got the SRAM Apex on my Spa Audax and I wish I hadn't. The change itself is clumsy and slow (except going from big to small on the back) and the range is limited. It'd be hopeless for touring if you carried any weight.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

recordacefromnew wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Really? As a matter of interest which compared with which?

Cheap with cheap.I don't do expensive cassettes(cogs on spiders) as split them and make one decent set of ratios from two ie;a Tiagra 14-25 and a Deore 12-32 or 34 to make a 14-32 or 34.
The Sram ones seem cheap(er) and don't last as long,though TBH I've not used them extensively.

BTW,If anyone thinks a triple is anymore complicated or fussy/fiddly to use than a double they're mistaken.
Likewise an Alpine double with a wide range 10sp cassette doesn't beat a triple with a close (or wide ratio FTM) 8 or 9sp cassette.Three sets of desired ratios beats two sets of wider,with some compromised ones anytime IMHO.
Chainlines can get silly with Alpine doubles and less chain wrap leading to higher sprocket and chainring wear.
EDIT:- I've re written some of this post.
Last edited by reohn2 on 21 Oct 2014, 9:33am, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

If I was building a new touring bike I'd be tempted to use a SRAM 10 speed double with a (TA, Middleburn, Sugino or Stronglight) 46/30 chainset and a 12-36 cassette.

It's not clear to me how this can be done. Certainly the Stronglight and Sugino compact doubles are 110** BCD which limit the minimum ring size to 34T. I don't know about Middleburn (never 'eard of 'em). I suppose that it might be possible using TA Cyclotourist. Anyway contrast that with a triple assembled with 110/74 BCD which will allow an innermost ring of 24T.

I looked at the compact double option myself but reckoned a triple was so much more convenient. You can choose a middle ring that you use most of the time with your most used gears in the middle of the cassette. Then you have a downhill/wind-behind ring and a grovelling up hill ring. I suspected that with a double I'd be forever shifting at the front which is always relatively slow and clunky. What's more since the cassette on the triple does not need to be of such a wide range it can be 8/9 speed rather than 10/11 speed which will cost less and will likely be more durable.

**Edit: I wrote 104 in error.
Last edited by NetworkMan on 21 Oct 2014, 6:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
honesty

Post by honesty »

The sram 1x11 mountain bike setups are an interesting proposition (not there cyclocross cx1 one though as the cassette only goes down to 32). The X01 and XX1 have a 11-42 cassette. With a 34 tooth front chainset I would get very close to the range I currently use on my triple when touring. I never use the 48 tooth on the chainset when touring, so my actual gear use tops out at 11 rear 36 front, and the lowest is a 26 front 32 rear. With a 1x11 I'd get the same range but lest complication and reduced weight. I guess though the rear wheel will be weaker to take into account the increased space needed for 1x11 cassette? Only problem for me at the moment would be its flat bar only, sram 11 speed is not cross compatible between road and MTB product lines as far as I'm aware.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

I've got sram APEX on my bike (an experiment after several broken Shimano left triple shifters).

I use 36/48 front with 12 -32 on the back. I put a 12 - 36 on the back for loaded touring. Not had to walk on the last few tours, but occasionally had to walk when I had a touring triple on anyway.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
hamster

Post by hamster »

NetworkMan wrote:
Certainly the Stronglight and Sugino compact doubles are 104 BCD which limit the minimum ring size to 34T

Not so, minimum with 110pcd is 33T, there are plenty 104 BCD MTB cainsets with 32T, I think the minimum is 30T.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I am still a triple fan as I like the fact that you can use a nice closely spaced cassette which makes changes nicer and I find I only swap chain rings occasionally. However my current road bikes was meant as a VX bike and it came with a MTB double chainset 28/42 with an 11-32 cassette. Have let to run out of gears. swap a 11-25 cassette around some times. 5 minutes work if a specific trip demands specific gears. Nothing stopping me running a 22 inner ring but the shifts is then a big clunky.