What lightweight tool for track nuts

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JosephCallard

What lightweight tool for track nuts

Post by JosephCallard »

Hi,

Recently a trailer on my touring bike and have a solid (not quick release) axle for extra strength.
Basically I don't want to lug around a heavy spanner for when I need to undo the rear wheel.

Any suggestions on light alternatives?

cheers for your help
Joe
Brucey

Re: What lightweight tool for track nuts

Post by Brucey »

the lightweight flat spanner in this £1 kit

http://www.poundland.co.uk/my-cycle-puncture-repair-kit

has a 15mm hex on it which should be the right size for your track nuts. Provided you have not overtightened them they should come undone easily enough.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mjr

Post by mjr »

Say it softly, but I carry a 6" adjustable wrench. Not too heavy and usually enough to undo most nuts, but adjust it carefully and make sure not to knock corners off any nuts.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Why not use Grip fast type wingnuts instead of track nuts. This sort of thing - they don't need a spanner to undo.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
JonMcD

Post by JonMcD »

I bought a VeloSolo Track Tool when I needed a lot of torque to stop the rear wheel on my fixie from slipping. Pricey, but only 75g and long enough for lots of leverage so I was happy with it.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Pedros Fixie Tool if you can find one, a quick Google only brought Amazon in the US having them. I've got a short 15mm combi spanner, approx 2" shorter, and cut the OE end off. It's just long enough to give me enough leverage to undo the tracknuts on my SS and the hub doesn' slip as I use chaintugs.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Back in the day I used to cycle to my local track on "road" tubular tyres (tubs) with my track wheels and silk tubs suspended between the front wheel and handlebars
I carried a TA square taper crankset spanner, at 15mm it did my Campag wheelnuts and my cranks http://www.hilarystone.com/images/sale%20images/tools/TA-crank-spanner.jpg
It was steel so not massively light, I'd guess it was 7 to 8 inches long
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

JosephCallard wrote:Hi,

Recently a trailer on my touring bike and have a solid (not quick release) axle for extra strength.
Basically I don't want to lug around a heavy spanner for when I need to undo the rear wheel.

Any suggestions on light alternatives?

cheers for your help
Joe

What do you mean by "Track Nuts" - are they the wing nuts, or just 15mm ordinary nuts that you use a spanner on? If the latter look for the stubby combination spanner that someone else has mentioned, I have one and its ideal http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130978353661? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
JosephCallard

Post by JosephCallard »

Thanks everyone for your replies, looks like a cheap poundland spanner might be fine,
rmurphy195 wrote:What do you mean by "Track Nuts" - are they the wing nuts, or just 15mm ordinary nuts that you use a spanner on?

Just 15mm ordinary nuts yeah, the wing nuts are a good idea but with the Y Frame trailers mount I don't think I'd be able to tighten them on one side.

Joe