new steel touring frame advice

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: new steel touring frame advice

Post by Brucey »

Valbrona wrote: By the time you have a frame that needs the threading in the BB shell re-tapped, the threads are already knackered and quite often beyond repair. So, I have never really seen the point of having a BB shell tap in a bicycle workshop....

Lots of frames need the threads cleaning out when a new BB is fitted, some need tapping out from 26tpi to 24tpi, some are bad from new (filled with paint etc) and some get damaged in service, and then there are proper repairs i.e. ones which allow any BB to be fitted later on. Plenty of uses.

Valbrona wrote: Better just to fit one of those threadless ones.

Au Contraire... They are mostly dreadful things... In point of fact you are probably worse off with one of those than if you simply (say) glue a decent sealed unit in place.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
D363

Post by D363 »

I think toe overlap could be pretty annoying on a touring bike.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

dlv13 wrote:my frame with the damaged bb threads is aluminium , i am sure there is a way of fixing it but its not worth it as far as i am concerned ,.
still looking at frames , the 2 favourites at the moment are the spa tourer and the surly crosscheck ive been looking into them a bit more and there might be a problem with toe / front wheel overlap with the surly ? this is something i have never experienced with the few bikes ive owned . is it the problem it appears to be or is it one of those things that could happen but never does???

Surly don't seem to list "front Centre" .....(the distance between BB axle and front axle) ....but they list wheelbase and chainstay, which is close.http://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check_green
Measure your existing front centre, and see what the difference is.
Spa list front centre.