mudguard mounted rear light/reflector recommendations

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
keithb

mudguard mounted rear light/reflector recommendations

Post by keithb »

Hi all,
Just received my "An Lun" mudguard mounted rear LED light (with reflector).

Now,the LEDs are really bright but very directional. This is not an uncommon issue in itself, but I can see that when fitted they'll point up about 30 degrees.

As the cover is clear and there is no mechanism to scatter the light, does anyone know of anything that can diffuse the light at all to make it more of a glow than a spot?

I'm currently trying a couple of layers of scotch tape over the LEDs which has helped but thought there might be something like those car head light beam adaptors you can get?

Cheers
Keith
SA_SA_SA

Re: mudguard mounted rear light/reflector recommendations

Post by SA_SA_SA »

This guy liked the B&M secula dynamo lamp
http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/achterlampen/BM_secula/index_en.html
NB your diffuser modifications will presumably nobble any approval the lamp holds.....
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

It might have helped if you had indicated whether battery or dynamo. On the assumption that we are talking battery, I tried the Spaninga one and the Smart one and decided that mudguard-only rear lighting is insufficient. The Spaninga fitted well and pointed in the right direction. The Smart one was too bulky/heavy.
I should coco.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

seculite like this;

has a ring of transparent plastic that couples with the LED and creates a more diffuse light source that is visible from all directions.

I daresay you could make something like that yourself (and nobble its approvals as pointed out above) but just buying the Seculite is a sight easier.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
keithb

Post by keithb »

Ah, sorry, the An Lun is battery, and I'm not running a dynamo as yet. But interested in either.

I'd forgotten about the spaninga and not seen the smart one. I'd not really seen the seculite either so thanks.

The idea is more to have a light permanently on the bike, that isn't really stealable. So more of a security or additional light.

Cheers,
Keith
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

I've tried two each of both the An Lun and Spanninga ones and never had them last more than a few weeks before dying due to water ingress and/or being rattled to death.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

There's not a large selection of mudguard mounted rear lights.
The other battery version I'm aware of is the PDW Fenderbot.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Sadly they're all steal-able with simple tools. There are practical problems with mudguard mounting too, so I stuck with the standard lights/mounts from Smart and a thin cable tie to encourage thieves to pick on someone else
A reflector is a useful addition to your rear mudguard though
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I think the more recent Secula sounds better than the seculite and I think may be cheaper, its also cheaper than the related toplight linetec rack lamps.
http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/achterlampen/BM_secula/index_en.html NB I don;t have one.

As (most?) mudguards are a bit less stiff than rear racks, I would think a wider beam would be best to allow for less precision in aim.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)