Brakes screeching really loud!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
corkman

Brakes screeching really loud!

Post by corkman »

I washed my road bike and now my brakes are screeching really loudly, I used hot water and washing up liquid which is what I've always used. Checked brakes for debris and nothing. Anyone got any ideas?
Erudin

Re: Brakes screeching really loud!

Post by Erudin »

Youtube - How To Fix Loud Squealing Screeching Bike Brakes

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-step-by-step-guide-to-quiet-rim-braking-22677/

I find lightly filing/sanding off any film coating (which may not be visible) on the brakes , and gently cleaning the rims with a green scourer/Astonish works. Rinse the rims and tyres thoroughly to remove any contaminants.

If all else fails try new pads on clean rims, Aztec road brake pads and BBB Tristops work well for me without screeching.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Providing they weren't screeching before you washed the bike, and providing you've not done any adjusting, the only reason for the screech is the washing.

I would suggest you find a hill or two and come down with the brakes on gently and more than likely the screech will fade.

........ but this is providing you've done nothing other than wash the bike.
Mick F. Cornwall
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

The salt in washing up liquid will react with Alloy wheel rims leaving a corrosion deposit.
The above methods will remove this corrosion but a lesson should be learnt for the future.

Do not use salt, I use can wash and wax but rinse the wheel rims thoroughly with clean water.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
corkman

Post by corkman »

Thanks all,

Answering all your replies at once, I only washed bike nothing else, the wheels are Mavic Equipe maybe they dont like the salts as suggested. Il try all the other suggestions alrhough I have been riding but I will try downhill