Dynamos and hills - battery backup?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pete75

Re: Dynamos and hills - battery backup?

Post by pete75 »

Tried my 3 bikes equipped with dynamo lights and the little Axa Pico 30 lux produces a good beam with not much flicker straight away at walking pace.
What would improve your light output at low speed is to switch to a battery back light so all dynamo power is going to the front light.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pete75 wrote:Tried my 3 bikes equipped with dynamo lights and the little Axa Pico 30 lux produces a good beam with not much flicker straight away at walking pace.
What would improve your light output at low speed is to switch to a battery back light so all dynamo power is going to the front light.

Not hugely though - the smaller lights don't require the full 2.4W anyway.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

[XAP]Bob wrote: the smaller lights don't require the full 2.4W anyway.

I can believe that. Withmy bottle dyno I seem to get full brightness at about 9mph or less. It would be interesting to try a budget dyno ( those really cheapo ones ) with the Axa Pico30 and see how it goes. As I said before I think the need for powerhouses like the BM dynotec S6 is probably over kill for such modest but brilliant lights?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
pete75 wrote:Tried my 3 bikes equipped with dynamo lights and the little Axa Pico 30 lux produces a good beam with not much flicker straight away at walking pace.

Not hugely though - the smaller lights don't require the full 2.4W anyway.

It seems like the OP is using bulb not led lights. Front will want 2.5 watts , rear .5 from a dynamo that produces 3w. Going to a battery back light should make a reasonable difference at the low speeds he's talking about when the dynamo is producing less than 3 watts and the back light is drawing almost 17% of that output.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ah, yes - switching that out rather than the front light...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Ah, yes - switching that out rather than the front light...

Well it's seems worth a try if he's happy with the usual light output. LED lights seem so much better now but the old halogens certainly gave enough light to ride with on unlit roads. Mind you I thought the old metal Ever Ready front lights were good - younger eyes then though.
edocaster

Post by edocaster »

'Town & Country halogen' would be pretty obsolete, judging by http://www.buechel-online.com/en/produc ... pandable=0 - 10 lux at 10 metres just won't cut it nowadays. Modern LEDs are several times more efficient, and that means the standlights are likely to be brighter too (as most of these lights use the same 1 or 1.5 farad capacitors for standlights, and need to light for about 4 minutes, so the rate of discharge won't vary much - but LEDs are far more efficient in this like for like comparison).

Dynamo light technology changes a lot. Wheels don't. I'd say definitely keep the wheel.

Theoretically, there's nothing wrong with using capacitor standlights in the situation initially outlined. For example, if two lights with standlights which could be disabled (e.g. B&M Cyo) were used in parallel or series, both could be charged up and switched off (i.e. storing the charge) from a previous ride. Then, on starting this ride with the hellish climb, one light could be switched on, with the standlight being fresh. Then, a few minutes in, the second light could be switched on. In other words, there's no limit to the number of capacitors which could be switched in, simultaneously or sequentially. Light makers just don't make a product for this.

For getting drivers to dip... that's another issue. The standlights on most German-legal dynamo lights are just dimmer versions of the main light. Because they are limited to 2 lux at 10 metres distance for the beam above the cutoff when operating in full mode (i.e. nowhere near a high beam anyway), in standlight mode you can expect an entire magnitude less light going to the eyes of drivers. Not being able to control the angle of the light quickly means you just have to live with this.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

the halogen better than the old Ever Ready jokes. I cant believe now things were that feeble? But then I still remember( just) when some street lights were still gas and had mantles lol. But my BM halogen is (not quite so ) feeble compared to the cheap Axa pico30 led.
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

pete75 wrote:It seems like the OP is using bulb not led lights. Front will want 2.5 watts , rear .5 from a dynamo that produces 3w. Going to a battery back light should make a reasonable difference at the low speeds he's talking about when the dynamo is producing less than 3 watts and the back light is drawing almost 17% of that output.

The back light is LED so I doubt switching it off would make much difference, but the question is academic as it doesn't have a separate switch.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

cotswolds wrote:
pete75 wrote:It seems like the OP is using bulb not led lights. Front will want 2.5 watts , rear .5 from a dynamo that produces 3w. Going to a battery back light should make a reasonable difference at the low speeds he's talking about when the dynamo is producing less than 3 watts and the back light is drawing almost 17% of that output.

The back light is LED so I doubt switching it off would make much difference, but the question is academic as it doesn't have a separate switch.

It's my guess it has wires going to it which could be disconnected.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Something like this one reviewed here?
(I have no experience with this light - just happened on the ongoing review.)
HTH
"42"
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

squeaker wrote:Something like this one reviewed here?
(I have no experience with this light - just happened on the ongoing review.)
HTH
I have (somewhere, but I can't find it!) a light that has (rechargeable?) batteries and is driven from a BB "dynamo". It's of late 1980s vintage so it doesn't have a LED. At low speeds the light is battery driven and at higher speeds "dynamo" driven. However it gave a good light for unlit roads. This is the sort of light the OP needs, but technology seems to have moved on. :roll: Anyone else used one?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Sounds like what I remember as the "Byka Owl".
Removable handlebar mount, cylindrical, maybe 2" diameter x 5" long, contained 4xAAs, and ran off either them or a 3.8W Sanyo BB dynamo according to speed. I don't think it charged the batteries, but as the light mostly ran off the dynamo, they lasted well. I also may have one somewhere - I remember cannibalising the handlebar mount when I was making DIY LED lights, pre Solidlights.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

pete75 wrote: the little Axa Pico 30 lux produces a good beam with not much flicker straight away at walking pace.

Can say the same about mine but the dynamo output is the key thing, my SP8 is very good at lower speeds and about two minutes riding will charge the Pico's standlight.

Never heard of this '3mph', is it a special code of some sort? :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

andrew_s wrote:Sounds like what I remember as the "Byka Owl".
Removable handlebar mount, cylindrical, maybe 2" diameter x 5" long, contained 4xAAs, and ran off either them or a 3.8W Sanyo BB dynamo according to speed. I don't think it charged the batteries, but as the light mostly ran off the dynamo, they lasted well. I also may have one somewhere - I remember cannibalising the handlebar mount when I was making DIY LED lights, pre Solidlights.
Yes. That sounds like it or something very similar. Possibly was Byka model.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.