Dynamos and hills - battery backup?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SA_SA_SA

Re: Dynamos and hills - battery backup?

Post by SA_SA_SA »

andrew_s wrote:Sounds like what I remember as the "Byka Owl".
Removable handlebar mount, cylindrical, maybe 2" diameter x 5" long, contained 4xAAs, and ran off either them or a 3.8W Sanyo BB dynamo according to speed. I don't think it charged the batteries, but as the light mostly ran off the dynamo, they lasted wel...

There was a 2nd version that charged(fried!) NiCd rechargables, reviewed by CJ, with the flaw that it didn't work at all when the battery was flat. It also had an external rectifier---- this puzzled me as surely the original version had the rectifier neatily in the headlamp: unless it was to avoid running input cable from dynamo to front lamp, then cable from front lamp to back, but that seemed tider than a separate rectifier...

Was the non-3W dynamo made specially for the UK or was it just a "bulb melting" German approved one?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
niggle

Post by niggle »

Would this be any good using a USB charging device run off the dynamo?

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/axa- ... aid:745897

USB rechargeable, 50 Lux

or would it need to be one of the lower power 30 Lux or 15 Lux versions?

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bik ... r_products
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

SA_SA_SA wrote:Was the non-3W dynamo made specially for the UK or was it just a "bulb melting" German approved one?

The Sanyo 3.8W BB dynamo was one of the earlier BB dynamos. I expect the 3.8W was "because they could", with it normally coming with 3W front and 0.8W rear bulbs. Doubtless not being German approved contributed to its demise.
cjumf1

Post by cjumf1 »

Hi All, I've just bought a Scott Sub 10 commuter bike with a hub dynamo, the rear light is a Spanninga Solo, an LED light that stays on when you stop. it retains a charge for about 5 mins after I get home from a 10 min commute. Someone really put some thought into it. I have been riding bikes for 50 years, and they are finally making what we need, not just what they want us to buy.