Campag Daytona 10-speed Ergo - cable pull?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Ray

Campag Daytona 10-speed Ergo - cable pull?

Post by Ray »

For some years I've successfully used these shifters in combination with Shimano rear mechs and 8-speed cassettes. I now wish to use a similar combination on another bike but, of course, Campag Ergos have changed over the years. From what I have read it seems that the current equivalent, 10-speed Veloce - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cam ... s-ec025995 - does indeed pull the same amount of cable (2.8mm), and should therefore work.

Could anyone please confirm this?

I don't think Shimano cassette spacing has changed, but my head is going round looking at all the combinations, and possible solutions! I just hope it may be that simple :D
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Brucey

Re: Campag Daytona 10-speed Ergo - cable pull?

Post by Brucey »

I think that all campag 10s has the same cable pull, but if you take a look at CJ's excellent shimergo page it may confirm this.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ray

Post by Ray »

Thanks, Brucey, I had looked at the Shimergo page, which does seem to confirm it, but the last update was a couple of years ago, so it'd be good to know for sure that nothing's changed since.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
hamster

Post by hamster »

Campag 10 speed is unchanged. 11 speed is not mixable reliably.

The bit they have fiddled about with over the years is the front shifting.
gfk_velo

Post by gfk_velo »

We can confirm that the amount of cable pull per index point is the same for 10s now as it has been historically.

The difference where levers are concerned lies in the internal mechanism and to some extent in the likely durability of that mechanism when interfaced with the "wrong" derailleur - Escape and PowerShift compatible RDs use(d) a lower return sprint tension to produce a lighter action and to strain the escapement-type mechanism of the lever internals less.

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd
Campagnolo Main UK SC
Head Technician and Director, Velotech Cycling Ltd,
Nationwide modular mechanic's training in all bicycle types
Campagnolo's main factory-appointed UK Technical and Service Centre
Ray

Post by Ray »

Thank you very much for this reassurance.

It's interesting what Graeme says about the possible effects on durability when using a 'Shimergo' set-up. As I've been using my Daytona Ergos with Shimano rear derailleurs for something approaching 100,000 miles I somehow don't feel it would be taking too much of a risk to carry on with a similar pairing :D

Regards
Ray
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

gfk_velo wrote:We can confirm that the amount of cable pull per index point is the same for 10s now as it has been historically..................

Thanks too. I've long wondered about this. Back when the changed the 10 speed rear mech shape to the 11 speed shape the implication was that the cable pull and rear mech shift ratio had changed. But I never got round to trying it out to verify whether or not it was different. The incompatibilities with spring tension pre-date the change to Powershift - they started when the new shape Ergos were introduced. I can't remember the details off hand but the shape of the spring in the rear mech told you which sort it was - either a half moon bend at the end or nearly a full circle.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Look at the Shimergo pages. Chris Juden did the legwork and measured the pull per click which did indeed change in 2001.