Dynamo bracket

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
johnt

Dynamo bracket

Post by johnt »

Does anyone have a bike that uses a dynamo bracket that bolts to brazed on fittings on the right hand fork blade? Apparently some Dawes frames had this. Can someone send me a photo so I can see what the fittings look like. Are they on the inside of the fork blade? Thanks
Brucey

Re: Dynamo bracket

Post by Brucey »

the thorn ones here;

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos-brackets-dept127/

are a similar idea; with a little careful measurement you should be able to work out which one is going to work for you, or how to make your own perhaps?

IIRC the fittings on the Dawes frame are just a couple of M5 threaded bosses (such as might be used for bottle bosses) about an inch apart.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stewart H

Post by Stewart H »

I recently sold a Raleigh that had such a bracket, it was a steel pressing, surprisingly thin, welded/brazed to the inside of the left fork leg, sorry I did not take a photo.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

even bikes that come with brazed on brackets dont get it right. I had to use one that attaches to the brake boss - the BM dyno I use has a short attachment leg - so there is no simple answer which one bracket to get.

I use whats called the dynashoe or something - no longer made - that allows quite a lot of adjustment- maybe some one here have one they dont need any more. It comes with 3 bits - a leg and a foot that attach to the brake boss and a base that attach to the fork with ties to give extra support. I didnt need to use the leg extension. Going for a one piece bracket could be hit and miss as you not only need to get the right height but also distance from the wheel and rotation of the dyno so it is radial - no wonder people like dyno hubs lol.

click pics to enlarge

brazed on bracket too short for  BM dyno
brazed on bracket too short for BM dyno

dynasho bracket with BM bottle
dynasho bracket with BM bottle
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

this

from

http://forums.mtbr.com/cargo-bikes/yuba-mundo-thread-749942-10.html

is a Yuba mundo with a (very) home-made bracket but the Dawes fittings looked a bit like this IIRC.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
drossall

Post by drossall »

I'd be worried about a bolt-on bracket forward of the forks. If it came loose, there'd be a high chance of it jamming the wheel?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

drossall wrote:I'd be worried about a bolt-on bracket forward of the forks. If it came loose, there'd be a high chance of it jamming the wheel?

Less so than if it's rear of the forks.

Forward of the forks as it touches the wheel it will be pushed forwards, and therefore rotate away from the wheel.
Rear of the fork if it touches teh wheel it will be pulled forwards and rotate further into the wheel...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.