Disc brake and mudguards?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mrjemm

Re: Disc brake and mudguards?

Post by mrjemm »

I've used those to space out the front of a rear mudguard at the chainstay bridge quite effectively.

May be worth pointing out though, that Squeaker is likely concerned about the plastic becoming deformed and causing the disc caliper to shift, and thus a brake failure. Not any aesthetic or clearance issue.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

mrjemm wrote:I've used those to space out the front of a rear mudguard at the chainstay bridge quite effectively.

Heh. I used one there as well on that bike. Sometimes hoarding turns out to be justified :)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

squeaker wrote:
Redvee wrote:I've mounted my stays off the top calliper bolt, it will need a longer bolt and 6mm spacer, in this case a v-brake block adjustment cup.

IMG_20141014_104812732.jpg

Mmmm, don't think I'd be happy putting a plastic spacer under that particular bolt unless it had a metal insert :shock:

me neither.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

stewartpratt wrote:This is what I used to clear the caliper: V-brake nuts. Tidy enough :)

One has to ask why they didn't put the mounting point above the brake in the first place, its obvious a mudguard couldn't be fitted easily with the caliper fitted so its not fit for purpose (not the first or, alas, the last with this issue)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Maybe a higher mounting point would end up fouling a lowrider. Maybe not. Dunno. If the mounting point's much higher you're probably going to need to bend the stays where they meet the guard anyway, so you've basically got the same problem without the option of just spacing it. I think finding a spacer and a longer bolt isn't a huge deal.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

stewartpratt wrote:Maybe a higher mounting point would end up fouling a lowrider.

Not sure how, some quality lowriders actually incorporate a mudguard mounting point!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Thats what I do. Good idea to chuck nothing away..
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Brucey wrote:mini V has shorter arms and works (with short pad travel and high MA) with most drop bar levers that normally work DP calipers

It's not obvious to me how you can have high MA (mechanical addvantage - leverage?) with shorter arms. Could you explain please?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mini-V brakes have a lower MA in the caliper than full -size V's but everything is relative; the latter cannot be used with road STIs (you end up with a brake that is too spongy and lacks travel unless you use v-specific levers which have a longer cable pull i.e. lower lever MA). Mini-Vs have about the highest MA of any brake that you can use with road STIs or other similar levers; even so they end up a bit too spongy and lacking in travel for some people's taste.

The only (road pull rim) brake that comes close in MA would be a mid-profile canti with a low straddle wire. This setup is powerful, but is somewhat finicky to keep in adjustment; you can't keep the MA up as the pads wear unless there is a barrel adjuster on the straddle (rather than the main cable).

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~