Restoring old parts..

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
smuggers

Restoring old parts..

Post by smuggers »

I have just picked up a George Longstaff, 531 Reynolds Touring bike & will be stripping it down & getting it resprayed at Bob Jacksons. I'm in no real rush to get it done, but want to do a good job & do this lovely bike justice. I would like to keep most of the parts already on the bike, which seem in fairly good condition. I was wondering what's the best thing to get parts looking reasonably well again..I'm going to be replacing old bolts, with stainless steel ones.. I've been told the bike is well over 20 yrs old & will replace the chain, cassette & inner and outer cables obviously.. The chainset is a bio-pace, triple & the finish on the crank arms is silver, but a very dull silver, almost in it's raw state I'd say.. Is there anything I could use to get them looking better or would it be even worth considering getting them chromed along with the rest of the parts that could be re-chromed? Or should I just get some metal cleaner & just use good old fashioned elbow grease. :-)

Many Thanks

Smuggers.
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells
smuggers

Re: Restoring old parts..

Post by smuggers »

Ooooops..Look's like I should have posted this in the Bikes & Bits – Technical section.. Sorry, I'm reasonably new to the forum.. :? :?
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Metal polish and elbow grease is probably the best bet.

Most things will clean up well, even with visible rust.

If it is a non-wearing part, a little laquer on the freshly polished surface will help to preserve it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

smuggers wrote:Ooooops..Look's like I should have posted this in the Bikes & Bits – Technical section.. Sorry, I'm reasonably new to the forum.. :? :?

That's okay, I moved it for you :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
smuggers

Post by smuggers »

Vorpal wrote:
smuggers wrote:Ooooops..Look's like I should have posted this in the Bikes & Bits – Technical section.. Sorry, I'm reasonably new to the forum.. :? :?

That's okay, I moved it for you :)

Why, Thank you, Vorpal.. That was speedy and efficient !! :-) I'm going to get the degreaser out & look for a good quality metal polish & apply elbow grease.. :-)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Solvol Autosol will polish up aluminium parts very well and give a high polished finish,though some older Shimano cranks have a clear lacquer finish which does dull over time.
Try Solvol first and if it's not shining up well,0000 steel wool will cut through the lacquer or Nitromors will lift the lacquer off no problem then polish up with Solvol.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

I like Peek for polishing metal bits.

Just a word of caution on stainless bolts: they aren't necessarily as strong as chrome steel. Unless you know what you're buying I'd suggest you only use them in the type of low stress areas where ally bolts would suffice.

Same goes for ti, think grade 5 is comparable to steel though...

I look forward to being corrected by someone more knowledgeable! [emoji6]
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you look on the Roymech website they give details of A2 and A4 stainless bolts. IIRC A2-70 bolts have a yield strength that is slightly less than (say) an 8.8 plain steel bolt but a UTS that is somewhat higher, and a fantastic elongation to failure. It has been discussed here before now and someone helpfully posted a tensile test graph for stainless steel. I actually carried out tests on stainless steel bolts (using a tensile testing machine) myself a few years ago because I couldn't find the data at the time.

Given the nature of the plastic part of the force\elongation graph for stainless bolts, it surprises me that they are not more widely used for stretch-bolt applications. It seems to me that you would quite safely get several uses out of them even in this kind of application.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Knew I'd learn something :wink:
Stewart H

Post by Stewart H »

To make Solvol autosol and similar polishes more effective try using a bit of old net curtain rather than a rag, Autosol and tinfoil is also superb on light surface rust.
TOP TIP
There is a domestic product on the market in spray bottles called "Elbow Grease" its a yellow detergent of some kind and is absolutely superb, It is so good I even used it in the kitchen :o (after cleaning car engines, motorcycle and bicycles etc etc)
smuggers

Post by smuggers »

Thanks to all that responded.. Brucey your knowledge is very impressive. I'm now thinking of trying to restore some of the nuts & bolts and wondered if anybody knows any good methods for cleaning these fixings ? I have got a lovely finish on my chrome bits, after somebody recommended meguiars metal polish. Very impressed with the results & have used it on my Moulton, which is looking much better. :D :D