Dynamo front light

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
redfacedbaldfatman

Dynamo front light

Post by redfacedbaldfatman »

I've been wanting to replace my dynamo front light with a higher output unit for some time now, but I'm having trouble deciding between the following:

(1) http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m-headlight-lumotec-iq2-luxos-u-senso-plus-with-usb-connector

(2) http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m-lumotec-iq-cyo-premium-t--senso-plus-front-headlamp/aid:709237

(3) http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/son-edelux-ii-front-headlamp/aid:715048

Any thoughts on these? I had been leaning towards the (1) Luxos U as I like the idea of having a USB charging port and 70 lux, 90 at the push of a button.
Option (3) Edelux II looks good, there are some beam photos on:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schmidt-headlights.asp
I believe the Lumotec Premium (option 2) also uses the same mirror as the Edelux II and has 80lux output.
So the dilema is ... option 1 with USB output but older mirror, or option 3 with newer mirror (better light distribution?). Option 2 included because it's half the price and might be just as good.
Thanks!
pete75

Re: Dynamo front light

Post by pete75 »

The Edelux is a repackaged B&M. It's not a case of the Lumotec Premium using the same components as the Edelux but the other way round.
This is worth considering if you want USB charging http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/axa- ... aid:642351 and without USB this is an excellent buy , powerful and not overly expensive. It has the advantage of an alumium rather than plastic body http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/herr ... aid:555419 I use both on different bikes and have no complainst about either.

This is a good website for dynamo light reviews http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/ ... ex_en.html
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
honesty

Post by honesty »

I've have the luxos u fitted to my commuter for a month or so, and recently did a short 2 day tour. Basically its amazing. Having the button on the handlebars to control the light is brilliant. The usb works really well (charged an in use Garmin to full in about 4 hours). The lights not to bad either! ;)

I went through exactly the same dilemma as you, and thinking over the same models, but I am convinced I've made the right choice now. You can charge in the rain by the way as the button is mounted to the bars by bands its a job of seconds to pop it off and stick the usb charging bit straight into a bar bag.
Splin

Post by Splin »

+1 ⇪⇪⇪⇪⇪
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

personally speaking, Only go for luxos if you need USB charging the Cyo 60 lux, is more than enough lightwise. been commuting for 4 winters with a cyo. I also have the cyo 25 lux which to be honest is enough to see by.
NUKe

Post by interestedcp »

I have just bought the B&M IQ Cyo 80 Lux Premium. A serious upgrade from the old 60 Lux IQ Cyo.
Bought the no frills version without daylight leds here for €55 : http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/lumo ... /wg_id-808

Only had one night time ride with it, but it really did well despite the rain. It has a much longer throw than the old Cyo 60 Lux version, and has as wide a beam as the old 40 Lux near field version.

If both the new Premium versions are made like the old, then the 80 Lux version are for people who wants to ride fast, while the Premium 60 Lux near field version is optimized for slower, urban riding with less throw, but much more light in the near field, to navigate through broken bottles and road construction hazards.

The SON Edelux II use the same reflector as the IQ Cyo Premium; it has better cooling, special anti-reflective treated glass for higher light transmission, RF shielding (the Cyo may likely disturb wireless cyclocomputers), better shielded against rain-torrents. It is likely to have a little more output than the Cyo. IMHO, its main selling point is that it is a beautiful construction.

No personal experience with the Luxos U. I prefer to keep my lights as simple as possible, so I am not keen on having a wire and contact on the handlebar.
--
Regards
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

I found some beam pattern measurements. They are made by a Goniometer.

The beam are shown as seen from above. The distance is 50 meters, while the light intensity is in Lux (log. scale at the bottom):

This is the Edelux II. Its beam patterns should be identical with the IQ Cyo Premium, but probably with a slightly higher output (it has better cooling).: (6.890V, 0.350A, 2.411W, at 20.0℃, 8.0km/h cooling)

This is the B&M Luxos B. :
(7.590V, 0.316A, 2.398W, at 14.0℃, 8.0km/h cooling)

To me it looks like the Luxos B has a more flood light like beam pattern, with more light in a wider area in front of the bike, while the Edelux has more throw and a more concentrated light beam.
As I understand it, the Luxus U will intensify the near field area in 90 Lux mode.

IMHO, you can't really go wrong with any of the lights.
--
Regards
beardy

Post by beardy »

What those graphs do not show is the vertical spread of the light.

If you take a Premium and shine it on a wall you get a thin horizontal slit of light at the level of the lamp, with non-Premium versions(and I guess the Luxus) you get a square of light covering a larger area below the level of the lamp.

If they made the same illustrations a few degrees below they would be quite different for the Premium lights.

I do like the Premium and where it shines the light but be aware these illustrations really show it in the best possible light. (pun intended)
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

beardy wrote:What those graphs do not show is the vertical spread of the light.

If you take a Premium and shine it on a wall you get a thin horizontal slit of light at the level of the lamp, with non-Premium versions(and I guess the Luxus) you get a square of light covering a larger area below the level of the lamp.

If they made the same illustrations a few degrees below they would be quite different for the Premium lights.

I do like the Premium and where it shines the light but be aware these illustrations really show it in the best possible light. (pun intended)

Not sure I follow you. In this case both lamps are directed downwards so they don't blind at around 25 meters. The beam pattern is how the beam looks when it hits the ground, and this is what most people would be interested in. Sure if you dipped them further downwards the light intensity on the the near field area would rise, but I think aiming at roughly 25 meters distance is a realistic compromise that most fast cyclists would do.

In my experience such Goniometer measurements correspond really well with my own personal experience of the lights.

Olaf Schultz also made some "Wall" measurements following the StZVO TA standard (10 meters distance:
Luxos B: TA standard

Edelux II. TA standard

I think the "floor" beam pattern is much more informative.

Regarding the "thin slit of light", yes I have seen that too, but only when I slowly rotated the wheel by hand. I think it is an artefact by the new reflector since the LED now partially have direct output, so it is only observed at very low speed. The Premium light up the near field much better than my first generation IQ Cyo 60 Lux. The old 40 Lux near field version has a more "squarish" light pattern and probably light up the near field as good as the 80 Lux Premium, but its throw is much, much shorter.
--
Regards
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Phoaaarr! Drooly thread. I have an IQ2 on order and I've been sitting patiently for a couple of weeks. Can't wait...hc
beardy

Post by beardy »

I looked at the second pair of illustrations and thought they were nothing like what I see from my Premium, so I went out and had a little play.

Those pictures are just of the core beam pattern and the long slit that I was seeing is going way beyond those pictures to the sides so would not show up in the pictures at all.
It also explains why a light beam that appeared so thin worked quite well in practice, because that thin bit is not where you are directing your gaze it is only in the peripheries, saving you from feeling like you are riding in a tunnel.
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

beardy wrote:Those pictures are just of the core beam pattern and the long slit that I was seeing is going way beyond those pictures to the sides so would not show up in the pictures at all.

Here as another one of the Edelux II that have more width. I think the "wall" distance is still 10 meters with maximum intensity at zero degrees:

The beam is wider than the old 60 Lux Cyo (and droops more downwards). So it may appear more "slit like" than the old Cyo, but actually I think the Premium centre beam is both slightly taller and wider, it is just the extra width that may make it seem narrow. I think I understand what you are saying now, it was just the words "thin/narrow" that threw me off, since compared to my old 60 Lux Cyo, the new Premium has a much wider beam and more near field illumination. (edit: typo)
--
Regards
redfacedbaldfatman

Post by redfacedbaldfatman »

Well I decided to go for the Luxos U as I like gadgets...

IMG_5806.JPG

I also purchased the "PortaPow V2 USB Power Monitor" from Amazon to see what is going on. You can see my iphone is charging at 0.5A. I will be testing it with a tablet and USB power pack later to see if these can be charged.
You can also see the remote switch has changed again, this time the switch is completely sealed and the USB connection is on a cable with a waterproof joiner. The USB connection itself is not waterproof, but it can stay in my bar bag I suppose.

So far, only very brief testing has taken place.
The good points: It's bright and wide, definitely a worth-while upgrade for the extra light alone.
My rear lights seem to burn brighter than with my old Cyo RT (I have a toplight line brake plus and a seculite plus).
Remote switch toggles between normal 70 lux and high 90 lux, a handy feature for darker sections.

Bad points:
Brief delay between momentarily pressing the remote button and the light flashing (it's not a flashing mode, just a single flash).
More complex operation than the operation than the older light it replaced. Of course, more features as expected but I will no doubt be checking that the rear lights are actually on even though there is a green indicator which tells me the rear light is getting power.
When charging, all lights are off. I'd kinda liked the old light in this regard, as even when the old Cyo RT was switched off, the rears were on all the time.

Overall, I'm pleased and can't wait to do my first late evening ride with it. The USB function will be useful for charging my iphone on longer rides as I use it for GPS logging and maps.
beardy

Post by beardy »

When charging, all lights are off. I'd kinda liked the old light in this regard, as even when the old Cyo RT was switched off, the rears were on all the time.

Was that because of the way that you wired them up or because when you switch it "off" the daylight lights are still on? because my rear light only comes on when I turn my Cyo Senso+ on (though it does stay on until the capacitor expires when I turn the Cyo off.)
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

From my limited use of the Luxos U so far, mine seems to charge via USB just fine with the lights on...

The Luxos on/off switching works as per the Cyo: headlamp off is all-off. B&M Plus rears have their own condensers so, of course, they stay on until that is exhausted.

To add to the above comments, I find the 90 lux mode totally useless. It adds a little light to the sides of the nearfield, which is of no help, especially given that it's only really available at speeds where you're not even looking near there. Shame, because the "floodlight" (ha) mode was the real reason I bought it: I was hoping for a car-style main beam. But I guess that would violate StVZO even as a switchable mode (...?)

On a slight tangent: I've recently upgraded my Cyo (60) to a Cyo Premium (80) and the beam of this seems of broadly comparable spread/quality/brightness to the Luxos, so anyone not needing USB juice would be well advised to get one of those, seeing as it's less than half the price of the Luxos.