Lifespan of the B&M dynamo lights

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Splin

Lifespan of the B&M dynamo lights

Post by Splin »

Hi,

I have been using the Luxos u lamp accompanied with the Toplight line brake plus since February. As the daylight hours getting shorter I have to use the lights more on my morning and evening commute.
As far as I know the bulbs are not replaceable, but I do have another year and a half warranty on them. ( I've bought both unit at the same time from the same retailer)
Does any of you have the above dynamo lamps or have experience with them in regards longevity of the bulbs?
[XAP]Bob

Re: Lifespan of the B&M dynamo lights

Post by [XAP]Bob »

LED lifetimes are measured in tens of thousands of hours, sometimes hundreds...

The rest of the electronics - who knows.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

I have a first generation 60 lux IQ Cyo bought practically at its introduction in 2008. It has seen regular use ever since without any problems. I also own an IQ Fly from 2007. It hasn't been used so much the last couple of years, but it is still in perfect working order.

Also bought two B&M Toplight Line when they first was introduced (2010/11?), again they have been working perfectly ever since.

Even my old B&M Topal Oval with HS3 halogen bulbs is still working and in use on a friends bike.

I have never had so reliable and good lights as those from B&M, which is why I keep buying from them I guess. I rarely turn of the lights so they are on most of the time, and use them every day in all seasons. So I wouldn't worry about long term durability, even if the lights are always on.
--
Regards
Splin

Post by Splin »

interestedcp wrote:I have a first generation 60 lux IQ Cyo bought practically at its introduction in 2008. It has seen regular use ever since without any problems. I also own an IQ Fly from 2007. It hasn't been used so much the last couple of years, but it is still in perfect working order.
I rarely turn of the lights so they are on most of the time, and use them every day in all seasons. So I wouldn't worry about long term durability, even if the lights are always on.

Thanks a million !!
peterh11

Post by peterh11 »

Splin wrote:Hi,

I have been using the Luxos u lamp accompanied with the Toplight line brake plus since February. As the daylight hours getting shorter I have to use the lights more on my morning and evening commute.
As far as I know the bulbs are not replaceable, but I do have another year and a half warranty on them. ( I've bought both unit at the same time from the same retailer)
Does any of you have the above dynamo lamps or have experience with them in regards longevity of the bulbs?

In our family we have 5 bikes all with the original B&M Cyo headlights - 4 of the 40 lux with reflector and 1 of the 60 lux. They all have the sensors for automatic operation. They've all had several winters of more or less daily use. Mine has been on my commuter for 5 years. None have failed in that time, though the switches on a couple have got a bit loose so they can get out of position - between settings - when knocked, and this causes the light not to work until you carefully click the switch back to a specific setting.

Summary: in our experience they are reliable and stay that way for a number of years in regular use.

Peter H
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Splin wrote:I have been using the Luxos u lamp...

Lucky you, Splin - Peter White, whose knowledge on the subject of bicycle lights borders on obsession, calls the Luxos U "far and away the most advanced bicycle headlight available." I imagine that it's fitted with high-quality diodes, like the rest of the B&M range. My two B&M lamps are working fine. The Cyo is 5 years old, the Lumotec Lyt, on my commuter, younger at 3.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
trull

Post by trull »

My only complaint about my cyo is that the thing rattles. Very irritating.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

My IQ fly lasted about 5 years but then stopped being bright, still worked but a lot less bright than it should be, amusingly the stand light would stay on for days! Gave me the excuse to upgrade!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Smut Pedaller

Post by Smut Pedaller »

I have had a B+M Lyt in use since 2010 on my daily commuter. It's normally on Senso mode so will be on almost every day. It's worked flawlessly so far. I had a B+M Toplight rear light which I bought at the same time, the standlight died (guessing the capacitor went?) about a year ago but the light itself still worked, replaced under warranty however.
smutpedaller.blogspot.com
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

My lyt and toplight plus must be 4 years old now - never really given them a thought.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.