VK saddle adaptor question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mercalia

Re: VK saddle adaptor question

Post by mercalia »

bikepacker wrote:I got one from 531colin it got the seat back okay but eventually snapped the seatpost centre bolt. I decided to get the Grand Cru which doesn't quite get the seat back as far but looks a whole lot better.

how long before the snapping approx? soon or much later? I have been using mine now for what must be 6 months and all ok, & I weight 17 stone & using a Brooks B17 saddle. all seems ok
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I wonder if the manufactures ever envisaged that an extending adaptor would be used on their product.
Also are the manufactures of extenders aware that failures of this type can happen.
It does'nt need a rocket scientist to see the chronic turning moment this will have at the single bolt.................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

mercalia wrote:
bikepacker wrote:I got one from 531colin it got the seat back okay but eventually snapped the seatpost centre bolt. I decided to get the Grand Cru which doesn't quite get the seat back as far but looks a whole lot better.

how long before the snapping approx? soon or much later? I have been using mine now for what must be 6 months and all ok, & I weight 17 stone & using a Brooks B17 saddle. all seems ok

Can't remember exactly it was probably about 3 months. It broke going over a level crossing in France one Sunday morning. Fortunately a cyclists coming by a few minutes later had a spare bolt so I replaced it without the adapter and finished the tour with a saddle rather more forward than I would have liked.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
jomasall

Post by jomasall »

horizon wrote:Just to say that I've used a VK adaptor on several different bikes and saddles and I've never had a problem.

Would be possible to know which seatposts and saddle combinations have you been using with the VK?
horizon

Post by horizon »

They were all standard Dawes alu seatposts with micro-adjust and all the saddles (AFAICR) were either Brooks B17 or a Dawes World Traveller (??) but I swapped them about quite a lot (I've got two VKs). None ever came loose or broke and I've used a VK for at least seven years, mainly on heavliy laden bikes. Here's an old post of mine:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7406&hilit=+VK+adaptor

That doesn't mean that the bolt cannot break - I am as concerned as anyone about this.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I do think it is important to do the bolts up really tight, so there can be no movement?

here is mine.

I had to file down the edges of the adapter to fit nice and snug in the bottom of the seat post top.
Bad fit may be a cause of bolt breaking as then the bits can try to pivot against one another?

VK adapter.JPG
jomasall

Post by jomasall »

Dear again,
Finally I got it at SJS. It seems to work well. Past weekend I've ride about 200k with it, and I'm pleased: It doesn't move (at very bad paths) and it puts me well behind.
There are some feedback I find interesting to share with you:

a) It is 40mm setback device, but in fact it "only" moves you about 28-30mm back, because as it is about 2cm in heigth, the saddle needs to be lowered about 2-2,5cm, and it means it moves forward about 1cm. In order to assure this, I've measured the tip-of-the-nose to stem before (58,5 cm) and after (61,2 cm) with the same saddle.

b) the seat angle is not very adjustable: the low clamp of the rails rail can move and rotate, but the bolt angle at the seatpost and the nut angle at VK is fixed, so you can adjust only a very few degrees. It is a setapost fault, not VK fault. Luckily, this angle seems ok for me and my Brooks Flyer, but other users can have some troubles with this.

So far so good. 3cm+ at saddle heigth of 80cm means about 2 degrees ST, so VK changes the ride position from 74 degrees to 72. This is not perfect, but better than before.
Thanks a lot for all your comments,
Josep.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
My problem is the opposite -
One bike has an oversized frame (62) so I am stuck on a minimum of 60 mm setback, I could just change the seat post, 60 mm is standard for me so no problem.
My second skip trainer is a toy, and probably never designed for men, despite the 22.5" virtual TT a ST angle of 71.5, 70 MM in min.
Again the seat post could probably be changed, but on a Full suspension bike it probably just academic.......
Seat tube angles on MTB's seem to be very varied, theyve gone from road bike frames to a style of their own.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.